CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 07/10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 07/10 Reply with quote

I ran out to Spring Pond as the rain was ending this afternoon and fished from about 3:45 PM to 6:45 PM. I had an exciting time, but ended up catching very little.

When I arrived, the wind was still blowing fairly briskly down the pond from the N, so I started by throwing a watermelon/red flake Y-Not soft plastic crawdad lure on a weighted jig hook from the shore into the SW corner. I got one good hit, but the fish spit the lure before I got a look at it. The wind started to wane, so I launched my kayak.

I started in the SW corner and worked my way N to the shallow area about 50 yards up the W shore. I started with the Y-Not but didn't get anything, so I switched to a wacky-rigged watermelon/red flake Yum Dinger. The first hit I got was extremely strong and doubled my rod over completely. I got the fish to the surface and saw the biggest chain pickerel I've ever seen. It was well over 24 inches and probably closer to 30 inches. It was well hooked and I got it all the way to the kayak before it bit through my 30 pound braided line. Sonofab*tch! I cursed myself for not re-tying my hook before I launched, figuring that the line was probably worn from my last outing.

I tied on a bigger hook on some fresher-looking line and started throwing to the same spot. I wasn't too hopeful for a hit, but got one and, to my surprise, it was another 24+ inch pickerel. It was slightly smaller than the first one and Sonofab*tch!, it bit through the line, too! Guess who's going to buy some of TurtleKiss' 50 pound braided line tomorrow!

After losing yet another decent fish, I said to hell with the W shore headed to the S shore. On the way there, I landed a 12 inch largemouth bass. Yeah, I wasn't too excited about that. It felt like I landed a sunny or a little rock bass. Whoopee. . . .

I got nothing on the S shore and started working my way up the E shore, where I landed a 17 inch, 2 lb 1 oz largemouth bass. While that was more like it, it still felt a little anti-climactic. Further up the E shore, I landed a 15 inch, 1 lb 7 oz largemouth bass. And then I snag-hooked a sunny, right behind its eye. But it was released unharmed. I worked my way up the E shore until the pebble beach and basalt boulder, but got nothing else before I had to head in.

The ironic thing about my day was that I was thinking about chain pickerel while I was driving to Spring Pond. I had seen and caught one in the pond about 1-1/2 months ago, but hadn't even seen one since. Both of the pickerel I hooked today were healthy-looking, fat, pretty green fish. And both doubled over my light action 5' 6" Ugly Stick rod.

I think I'll pair my medium action 6' 6" Ugly Stick rod with the 50 pound braided line for my next outing. And, no, "she" didn't say that I need a stiffer rod! I'm just tired of all of the big ones getting away and think the stiffer rod will help me to horse them into my kayak more quickly.

Last edited by PECo on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey PECo it can be done with the ultralights. Back in 2008, when I didn't know what a baitcaster was and I hated bass fishing true story Sad , I caught this 6 pound 4 ounce bass

on my 6ft 6 light power trout rod on 6 pound test in my monster canoe. Just got to try to keep them down and not let them jump up in the air. As for the pickerel I got bit off on 60 pound test Power Pro the other day I don't know how thats possible. Rolling Eyes
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete

Were you standing when you boated the 6-pounder? My problem is that anything over 3 pounds can double my rod over and swim under the kayak. I sit so low that I can't get them over the side very quickly. Losing that first pickerel yesterday is still bothering me.

You got bit off on 60 pound test? Are you sure it wasn't your knot? What knot do you use? I've found Palomar knots to be pretty reliable. I just picked up some 50 pound Spiderwire braid. I really, really don't want to have to use a leader just because there are pickerel or northern pike in the water.

Phil

Last edited by PECo on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braid has very little abrasion resistance, used to use a thick 40+ flouro leader when I fished for pike. Peco, the longer the rod the more pressure you can put on the fish to steer it away from the bottom of the kayak. I also started using a double palomar knot for braid, basically just an extra twist in the overhand knot which eliminates the slippage problem. I also tie a basic half hitch through the eye with the tag end on worm hooks, bigger knot has more of problem pulling the the eyebend.

Last edited by DV on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sitting in my canoe and I have had my fair share of bass swim underneath my canoe and come up the otherside. In fact that bass I showed you from Spring pond did that to me. I just got lucky that he didn't like to jump a lot. I use the double palmor knot I really like the strength of the knot.
AustinB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is spring pond? and also it would be easier to go to dicks or cabela's and buy a few leaders(wire), just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV is right....braid is the worst thing to use against toothy fish...Walleye, pickeral and pike will will cut it like a red hot razor blade through butter. Anytime I know I have to chance to run into something toothy I go with a minimum 30lb mono leader for my topwater stuff. Floro for under water stuff ofcoarse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using 50 lb. Spiderwire for about 10 years and never had a pickerel bite through it. If I'm snagged on a rock or something, the hook usually bends and frees itself before the line breaks.

However...If you go anywhere near the thick pads at Scoville, use a steel leader and light drag. The bowfin make pickerel look like fluffy little kittens. They will straighten your hooks & demolish your crankbaits.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Gee, thanks! Reply with quote

I haven't even caught a northern pike, yet! Bowfin? Aw, man. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK is there a decent amount of Bowfin in scoville? Like could you catch one there say 2 out 3 trips?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toptech wrote:
TK is there a decent amount of Bowfin in scoville? Like could you catch one there say 2 out 3 trips?

Bowfin are caught at Scoville rarely to occasionally at best. It's supposedly easier during the spawn when the males are protecting the nests. They'll attack anything that threatens their area, including humans. I've only been there once (last week) and was unsuccessful. Can't speak of their numbers without trying a few more times, but I'm definitely going to try again. Bowfin eat basically everything a bass does, and they can handle stagnant water because their swim bladder basically acts as a lung that allows them to take in air from the surface.

I doubt many people would venture into the area I did. I rowed through about 8 inches of gunk to get there (the water level was low too.) I didn't see or hear another person the entire time I was in that area (8 a.m. - 3 p.m.) Figured I'd try for bowfin and maybe catch a bass in the process. When the wind picked up I reversed the plan & lost a bowfin while trying for bass. I got the fastest, biggest, most instantaneous topwater explosion of my life, in open water (about 4 ft) near some pads. My garlic frog (buzzbait-fast retrieve) disappeared as soon as it hit the water. The line was slack and my thumb was still on the spool...the 17 lb mono got shredded with no tension at all. I love my 50 lb. Spiderwire, but I'm using a steel leader next time.

There's a few bowfin in the tank at Cabela's...they're fascinating! The species is 150,000,000 years old & Scoville is one of the few inland places they've been caught in CT in recent years.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gee, thanks! Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I haven't even caught a northern pike, yet! Bowfin? Aw, man. . . .

I've never caught a pike either Phil.

toptech

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah everyday I go to work at cabelas I walk through and check them out... Very Happy

Pike are interesting fish. Sometimes you hook them and it just seems like the roll over and die...no fight at all basically...other times they are almost impossible to land cause they just keep pulling and wont give up even when you get them tired and have them at the side of the boat...they just wont stop flopping around.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chain pickerel I've caught have never played dead. Their mouths are surprisingly fragile. When they flop around, my Lipper Fish Gripper will pierce the skin on their lower lips.

I'm going to buy some leaders. I don't want to lose the next pickerel, northern pike OR bowfin that I hook. Any suggestions (e.g., type or brand)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: