CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 07/11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Spring Pond 07/11 Reply with quote

I was finally able to patch the valve and get her out on the water yesterday

Thanks again Phil!! It was a great morning to be out on the water, unfortunately the fish didn't cooperate as much as I had hoped. The early morning was overcast and eventually the sun came out mid morning. I started out on the North side of the pond because the wind was blowing South and I didn't feel like fighting it all day. I started in the NE corner and worked West along the north shore. I got a few bites on a 5" wacky pumpkin senko but nothing bit the hook. I also got a couple of miss strikes on the black trophy scum frog. I moved to slightly deeper water and tried a jig but nothing went after it. Tried a yum green pumpkin craw and had a few hits but again nothing took the hook. I worked the weeds on the NW corner with the black frog again and finally hooked up with my first and only fish of the day. It was a 15" (I'm guessing it was just over 1lb) largemouth. For a small guy he really hit the frog hard and actually turned the frog inside out and gave a decent fight. He jumped once but the hook was in good. After a quick picture and release I let the wind take me South along the West shore but unfortunately didn't even get a bite the rest of the way in. It was a tough day but at least I avoided the skunk and I got some much needed practice with the yak. Hopefully I'll get out again soon.

PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

It's nice to see you that you got out on the water, Derek. Now I wish I had gone fishing yesterday. I went today for a few hours, but got only three largemouth bass. it was really too sunny to be out there in the middle of the day, but I couldn't help myself.

I've never had much luck in the NW corner or any of the extreme shallows. Just off the shallows, yes, but in the shallows, no. I've also never had much luck around either of the two islands. The W and E shores of the S cove are usually pretty good, as is the E shore just S of the basalt boulder and pebble beach.

Let me know the next time you plan to head out there. I'd love to join you for a paddle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely let you know the next time I plan to head out. I'm going to try to fish at least one morning this weekend, just not sure where yet.

The next time I hit Spring Pond I figured I'd try the East shore and from what you're saying that may be better. I was glad I got bored and started throwing the frog though. It seems like there were some fish holding just South of the North shore maybe 50 to 75yds out but they were just nibbling no one actually hit the bait enough to set a hook on them.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Dawg! Where is Spring Pond?

Jim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in Avon just West of the Farmington river. At the corner between Rt 10 and Old Farms Rd.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dawg. If my memory serves me correct is that the one next to the Avon soccer fields?
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg, now that I see you're a kayaker too, give a shout if you plan on going out sometimes and I will try to join you in my Hobie work schedule permitting.

Jim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I'll let you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: