CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 07/23 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 07/23 Reply with quote

I had a few hours to fish this morning, so I took my little kayak to Spring Pond from 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM. I knew from the forecast that there would be no wind, but the weather was perfect. It was windless and overcast all morning, and began to sprinkle at 10:00 AM. Like I said, perfect!

I started in the SW corner and the first 25 yards of the W shore, but got nothing, so I paddled to the S shore, where I've never caught anything. Well, I kept the streak alive, until I got to the SE corner, where I caught a 17 inch, 2 lbs 7 oz largemouth bass on a wacky-rigged five-inch watermelon/red flake Dinger. I continued up the E shore and about halfway up the S cove, I caught a 13 inch largemouth bass on a wacky-rigged five-inch watermelon/laminated pearl Dinger. A the N end of the S cove, directly across from the S island, I caught a 15 inch, 1 lb 12 oz largemouth bass on a weightless four-inch watermelon/purple flake tube. And about halfway up the hyacinth beds on the N end of the E shore, I caught a 14 inch largemouth bass on a wacky-rigged, five-inch watermelon/red flake Dinger.

I didn't get anything else as I fished the NE cove and the first 25 yards of the N shore. I had to head in and decided to troll a white lipless crank bait about 25 yards away from the E shore. About halfway down the hyacinth beds, I caught a 10 inch white perch:

I didn't know that there are white perch in Spring Pond! Surprised I had never caught or heard of anyone catching a white perch there. They obviously like trolled baits, because I caught two more and a calico bass by the time I got down to the pebble beach and basalt boulder on the E shore:

All three of the perch and the calico were 8 to 10 inches long. The bucket ladies fishing from the shore would have loved them. I gotta admit that catching them on a trolled crankbait was fun. A couple of the perch hit the bait pretty hard but, then again, I was moving pretty fast when they hit it.

Last edited by PECo on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on white perch, because I've only caught a few in my life, like you by accident of course, but by the look of that little guy, that could be a "dace" not a white perch?

And you seriously need to get a new scale, because there is no way a 17 inch bass weights 1 -7.

A 17 inch bass should weigh between 3 and 4lbs. approximately depending on girth of course.

A 16 inch bass is almost always right around 3lbs.

I have a 6 year old berkley digital handheld scale that works great. It is accurate to within a few ounces of the official digital tournament scale my club uses for weigh ins at our bass tournaments. I think I paid like $20 to $25 bucks for it back then.

I don't know what kind of scale you are using, but it is way off. If it has gotten wet internally throw it away. If you have dropped it multiple times, throw it away.

Just my 2 cents...........

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Oops! Reply with quote

That was a typo. The 17-incher was 2 lbs, 7 oz. I'll edit the post. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes much more sense. Not bustin chops, just trying to help you get more accurate readings on your catches.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

I checked some fish identification photos on the web. The fish I caught were definitely white perch. The hump and the lateral line on white perch are pretty distinctive.

Hey, has anyone here eaten white perch? I spoke with a waterfront homeowner on Batterson Park Pond who was hoping to catch some white or yellow perch from the shore for his dinner. Are they tasty good?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: About the weights. . . . Reply with quote

I've found that largemouth bass hit 1 pound at 14 inches and weigh anywhere from 1-1/2 pounds to 2-1/2 pounds at 16 inches. I've never seen a 3 pound largemouth bass that was under 18 inches.

If my cheapo Berkley scale is under-reporting the weight of my fish, I'd like to know, but I really don't think it is. Could anyone recommend a more accurate portable scale?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, go measure a gallon of water or powerade bottle with your scale and check it accuracy.
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Phil, Being that I don't eat fish but I have some people in the house that do. I catch sea run white perch in the CTR. and my girl says next to Flounder it's the best. I heard that land locked are not as tasty. but that is base on third party info.

Tim
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: How big? Reply with quote

How big are sea-run white perch, Tim? These were 8 to 10 inches. I've also caught a few at Batterson Park Pond, the biggest of which was probably 12 inches.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size verys minimum is 7" but we have caught up to 16" but these are real fatties. We will hit it up come spring time.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some pre-fishing there Paul...lol. I checked my digital scale for accuracy and it is within 0.2oz of the calibrated mail meter at work. I'll check your scale tomorrow against mine if you like and let you know how accurate it is.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert either but it looks like a white perch and a crappie to me.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The angle on the white perch isn't very good; it's hard to see its hump.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I checked some fish identification photos on the web. The fish I caught were definitely white perch. The hump and the lateral line on white perch are pretty distinctive.

Hey, has anyone here eaten white perch? I spoke with a waterfront homeowner on Batterson Park Pond who was hoping to catch some white or yellow perch from the shore for his dinner. Are they tasty good?

Just curious...how would one target only perch at Batterson and not end up with a mess of bluegill & rock bass instead?

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos Reply with quote

Quote:
Just curious...how would one target only perch at Batterson and not end up with a mess of bluegill & rock bass instead?

Troll SR-5 rapala shad raps in silver color you will catch walleye as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: