CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 07/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 07/26 Reply with quote

I headed over to Spring Pond to kill a couple of hours while my son was at his Driver's Ed class this morning. I fished from 8:15 am to 10:00 am, in my Trophy 126 kayak. It was sunny and warm. There was little to no wind. The water was very murky, with only one foot of visibility. I launched at the culvert on the west shore and worked my way counter-clockwise around the south cove. I threw a frog over the weeds in the shallows on the west shore. I didn't get any hits. There was a utility crew with a rowboat on the south shore installing a float to which they attached a pipe from the shore. For what purpose, I don't know, but it was there last year. They made a bit of noise in the water, which might have affected the bite. Then again, I wasn't fishing as thoroughly as I did yesterday. I spotted what I thought was a carp swimming lazily just under the surface of the water. Then I saw that it was swimming upside down and in small circles. I unfurled my net and boated it:

I thought that it was a carp, but it turned out to be a white sucker (catostomus commersonii)! it didn't show any obvious signs of trauma, but it didn't look like it would survive from the way that it swam. Sorry, Flipper, but I didn't save it for you. Sad I dragged a weighted Texas rigged watermelon red colored Rage Tail Rage Craw on the bottom off of the east shore. I also tried a black with blue tail Zoom 6-inch Lizard, Like with the frog, I didn't get any hits. When it got close to the time that I had to leave, I tied on a Gamakatsu size 6 Octopus Circle hook and began throwing a wacky Senko at the shore of the south island. I didn't want to get skunked! Rolling Eyes The wacky Senko got me a 12 inch keeper largemouth bass off of the north shore of the island:

It wasn't much, but it sure beat getting skunked!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other day when i was at bantam lake i saw the exact same thing. i went over to look at it and it was a baby carp. how unusual.

-phil
MarkO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Pond 07/26 Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
When it got close to the time that I had to leave, I tied on a Gamakatsu size 6 Octopus Circle hook and began throwing a wacky Senko at the shore of the south island. I didn't want to get skunked! Rolling Eyes The wacky Senko got me a 12 inch keeper largemouth bass off of the north shore of the island.

You caught fish, and that is all that truly matters. Who cares what it was on.
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's the thought that counts! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: