CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 09/24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Spring Pond 09/24 Reply with quote

I went to check out Spring Pond. The pond is separated from the Farmington River by only a glacial esker and I wanted to see in what condition it is after all of the recent flooding. When I arrived at 11:15 am, the air was warm and the sky was overcast. It looked like it might even rain. There was only an occasional slight south breeze. As usual, I launched in El Habañero at the culvert on the west shore and headed counter-clockwise around the south cove. The water level is still about two feet higher than it is normally. The water is murky, with visibility only down to about a foot. I had a big spinnerbait and a wacky rigged Senko tied on. I didn't get any hits on either until I got to the east shore, when the wacky Senko got me a nine inch largemouth bass:

The wacky Senko got me a couple of more shorts on the east shore of the south cove before I decided to pick up the pace and head to the northeast corner of the pond. The rocky beach and basalt boulder on the east shore at the mouth of the north cove are totally under water. I swapped out the spinnerbait for a small white buzzbait, but neither it nor the wacky Senko got me anything until I headed across the north shore. Almost halfway across the shore, I finally caught a keeper largemouth:

It was 17 inches long and weighed 2-1/2 pounds. It hit just as I was about to pull the little white buzzbait out of the water, so I got to see it come up from below and inhale the lure. I continued across the north shore to the northwest corner of the pond, where the normally stagnant stream is now flowing strongly into the pond. There were a couple of bucket fishermen throwing heavily weighted nightcrawlers onto the bottom near the mouth of the stream and they were absolutely killing the fish. I saw them pull up a dozen fish of all kinds in just a few minutes. One of them said that he caught a 20 pound carp last week. I threw the wacky Senko into the flowing water for a few minutes and boated a couple of short largemouth before I continued around the pond to the second island. When I got down to the first island, I saw that the big dead tree on the northwest corner of the island has finally broken up and fallen into the water. I didn't get another bite until I got off of the water at 2:45 pm. The next time I head out there, I plan to drag a Texas rigged creature bait along the bottom near the mouth of the stream. The flow is definitely holding fish there right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: