CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stafford Springs area ponds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondhopper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Stafford Springs area ponds Reply with quote

I recently spent a couple hours on Dennis Pond in Stafford Springs for the first time. I only hit a couple 1lbers(LMB), 1 on a wacky senko and the other on a ragetail frog. But I know better than to judge a lake or pond based on one trip, especially during the middle of a hot august afternoon.

I was wondering if anyone else here has had or heard of quality bass in that pond, or any other of the many small stafford area ponds? I am also very curious about staffordville res. the private lake up route 19. I figure I can carry my row boat in at the small public area at the south end if it is worth the trip.

Incase anyone else is searching that area, I do know there is good fishing on New City pond. I have only been a couple times but managed to hook a couple 2lbers and one just under 4lbs. Anyone else had any luck on New City?

PS: I know of all the lakes and ponds in the "CT Lakes and Ponds Fisheries Guide" book, I am looking for more obscure, less fished ponds to spend some time at. I have pretty much this whole season on ponds like this, so I may be able to help anyone else who might be looking for them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have a camper in Stafford Springs, and I have tried many places in the area. Dennis pond is a good place for bass, I only fish from shore and have caught a number of decent catches, all around 2 pounds. The top of the pond is practically all lily pads, I have not tried using frogs but i would imagine they would work well for that section of the pond.

I have not tried staffordville reservoir because I thought the entire pond was private, I could be wrong, I didn't take the time to look into it more. It looks like a good bass pond, if you find anything else out about it, let me know.

As for good bass spots in the area, my favorite is Morey Pond. Ive herd such great reviews from that pond, especially from those who have boats. It runs under the I-84 bridge, ive heard great action from the other side of the pond, underneath and past the bridge that is. The pond is just over the union town line, head up route 190, once you cross the union town line there's a dirt road on the right about 200 yards or so that leads to the boat launch. I would recommend giving that pond a try. Ive heard many catches in the five pound range from there, as well as many smaller bass. If you go, let me know how you do. Hope that helped,
pondhopper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much sir!
You are right about the frogs working well at the upper end of dennis pond in the pads. One of my bass came that way but I had about 3 other hits in the pads that just didnt hook up, so they were certainly responding well to the frog in there.

I do plan on trying to carry my row boat into staffordville res. so I'll let you know how it works out.

As for Morey, thanks allot for the tip. I have known of Morey for a while but never thought it to be any good after reading its somewhat poor rating in the CT lakes and ponds book I use. Guess I have to check it out for myself and not rely so much on the 9 year old data from that book.

Thanks again billy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey we're in the process of moving to Ct, and are on 84 every weekend, is Morey pond, the one in Union, with a small damn on one side and what looks like a farm, and a little pond on the other side of 84, and can you pass under? We see small boats on it all the time, and keep saying we have to throw the canoe in the back of the truck and give it shot because it looks "sweet". It looks some some great bass water.
chud059

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can pass under it... the launch is on the west side of 84, kind of a crappy bumpy road, but nice launch area for small craft. Right off the exit going west bound, left off the exit if going east bound. a mile maybe or so, the road kind of just appears, it's a park, can't remember the name of it though.
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for the info. It's kind of a long ways from Wolcott, but a good day trip for sure. Can't wait to be done with this moving crap.
pondhopper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hila2006, I finally got a chance to hit Morey today!

I'm impressed with the pond... to say the least. I hit 6 lmb in about 4hrs. which is pretty good for an unfamiliar pond in the middle of a summer day.

3 were on 10" ribbon tail worms on the bottom, 2 were wacky senkos and 1 was on a rage tail frog in the thick pads. The largest was only a pound and a half or so, but I was just happy to have had some action today. The last 3 weeks have been so slow on the ponds that I have been hitting, I have almost lost the feel for a bass hit vs. a weed or branch snag.

Also I spoke with a couple guys on the pond who said that a friend of theirs hit an 8lber in there!!! They say he mounted it, which is sad to hear its gone now, but I have a feeling that place can produce plenty more!

I love the place and just wanted to thank you again hila... THANKS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: