CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: steering cables stiffening up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flippy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: steering cables stiffening up Reply with quote

My steering was getting a little stiff so I pulled the cables out of the boat,, make sure you put a string or rope to the end of the cable before you pull it out,, so when I got the cables out, I bent and banged them around,, only to realize I had gotten junk built up in the cable from backwash,, its a cable that slides into another cable, so its a bitch to lubricate,, most people just buy a new cable,, but mines a dual cable and costs 500 dollars,, so I took the cables to my work,, that has 15 mechanics,, they made me a sleeve with a air nipple to connect a air hose up to,, I fill the sleeve with penetrating thin oil and then pressurize it at around 8 to 10 lbs of air pressure, the air pressure pushes that oil threw the cables, it works awesome,, I work the cables back and forth with a vice,, until I feel it get real easy,, funny thing is,,, they dont make a sleeve that does this,, it seals itself around both cables and has no problem holding 30lbs of pressured air,, I have sent info on it to teleflex, the maker of the cable,,and get this,,, I have a meeting with them,,
hila2006

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, that's to cool. The Teleflex thing I mean. We had to replace our steering cable last year, a short while after we bought the boat. It had sat for 4 years, so we had to do quite a bit of overhauling. The steering worked, but it was like driving an old dumptruck with no power steering. We picked up a used Teleflex cable at the marina across the road from our lake. It was a complete bitch to do, would've been easier if we had the ability to remove the motor. Good job on the easier fix, and good luck with Teleflex. Gonna be heading out very soon. Let's hit someplace sometime dude.
John
flippy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good bro', just have to change a couple more fuel lines, and routine trailer maintenance etc. Hopefully 1 more weekend of work. Gonna actually take a page from the "flippy manual" and try some jigging/flipping this year.
flippy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That a boy,,,lol
hila2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: