CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stillwater Pond 6/23
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Stillwater Pond 6/23 Reply with quote

I had some time to get out and fish on Sunday and I heard a rumor that some of the guys would be out on Stillwater so I figured I'd check it out. I launched at about 7:30am and the water was beautiful and calm.

I paddled North up the West side of the pond and decided to troll a crankbait on my way up to the pads. I had stocked up on some ribit and zoom horny toad frogs and was looking to throw some. I came upon the first cluster of pads in the Northeast corner and saw some big splashing going on. I tossed the frog in there a dozen or so times before I saw some nice size carp having a fish orgy.

I continued to paddle North up to the small creek that flows into the North end of the pond and realized at that point (and after calling Bob) that I was the only one fishing there. So I stopped looking for Bob's boat and started hitting the pads. At about 10am I landed a 15" LMB on a zoom horny toad dragged through the pads

I haven't mastered the technique of the fishing self portrait yet, like Phil has. I need some more practice with the new phone.

I continued to work my way through the pads and had several short strikes with no hookups. Then all of the sudden I had I swirl and a nice hit on the frog. I let it sit a second or two then set the hook on a nice thick patch of pads Mad I continued along and there it was "The Beast!"

I saw a huge LMB sitting there in the sun at the edge of some pads. I tried for a good 20 to 30 minutes to get that thing to bite on something I had in my boat but it wasn't having any of it. Frogs, creature baits, senkos, I even tried a crankbait but nothing worked. I was contemplating just diving on it with a net just to see how much it weighed...lol. Maybe next time Embarassed

I gave up on the giant because the wind really started whipping up. I took a quick video to show the wind...

Link

I started heading South back to the launch. I can't complain too much because it was a beautiful day

I even picked up a second fish on a crankbait Very Happy

OK so it wasn't that much bigger than the crankbait but it was still a fish.

With that I paddled back to the launch and to my surprise as I was getting out of the water a saw a Metalfish (aka Ian) in his new yak out for a test drive. We'll have to hook up and go fishing sometime soon. Great day to be paddling and trying to fish Wink
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stillwater Pond 6/23 Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
I came upon the first cluster of pads in the Northeast corner and saw some big splashing going on. I tossed the frog in there a dozen or so times before I saw some nice size carp having a fish orgy.

My wife is home, so I haven't been fishing much, although I snuck out a couple of times, and caught a few largemouth bass from the shore at Stub Pond and Meadow Pond. This morning, I paddled Spring Pond from 8:30 am to 10:15 am, and know what you mean about the carp. They were swirling and splashing all over the place in the weeds. I think that they spook the largemouth bass, although I managed to boat three dinks with Bullfrog Zoom Horny Toads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That water looked like glass in the morning, I love it when it's that calm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Yes we will!
flippy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,, you didnt catch that perch,, you snagged it,,LOL,, and when did you start getting so grey..LOL,,
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any gray hair until I couldn't land that big largemouth on Sunday Wink
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: