CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Stockies but Slow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Stockies but Slow Reply with quote

Thursday afternoon I headed over to the TMA after hearing the state recently stocked it. Got to the honeyhole around 1pm but didn't see much.

Threw the brown trout FLR-6 out there but didn't get any followers or hits and didn't see any flashes.

Next was a helsinki shad HJ-8. That lure had the stockies interested, and there was a certain jerk and pause retrieve they were looking for, as if you had to get the lure right above them or in front of them.

Landed 2 11" browns and had lots of followers. Also had 1 certain brown in the same area come up to hit the HJ-8 before going back down a number of times.

Later a buddy arrived. 1 certain lure he threw that had trout interested in was an ultra light Joe's Flies spinner. Color was a pale beige.

We kept seeing a nice trout coming up to grab and insect before going back down. Once we spotted it we took turns trying to get it. The buddy threw a 1" pearl white curly tail rigged on a 1/16 ounce jighead while I threw a hand tied streamer jig. I was the one to get the lure close enough to the trout for it to slowly follow and get its mouth right in front of the lure before it turned back.

We decided to walk back to the parking area around 6pm.

I checked other spots that the state stocks but it seemed like they only stocked the honeyhole and didn't do much of a stocking this year vs last year.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Stocked Trout season open April 19th! Opening day?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Stocked Trout season open April 19th! Opening day?

Every March the state does 1 stocking on most of its trout management areas before opening day
suitesea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, you can fish year round at the tma's just catch and release during closed season
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention was something I saw and heard.

Saw and heard a phoebe on a small branch right near the water! Those birds are visitors from the south once it gets warmer in the spring. They head back south as it cools down in the fall.

I'm hoping that that phoebe was a sign saying after this 4 inches of rain, spring like temps will finally be here and stay!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: