CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Stony Brook Suffield 7/28 bassin (crazy Rapala story)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee_Boog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Stony Brook Suffield 7/28 bassin (crazy Rapala story) Reply with quote

I hit Stony Brook in Suffield yesterday morning with my buddy. I had a line in the water at 7:00 am with the temp at 65 degrees, perfect overcast cool conditions. The water levels were just about perfect height, slightly faster then normal but more then manageable. Clarity was a little cloudy, but not until you got down around the last 2 -3 feet.
I started throwing a few Joe's Flies at my favorite bend, mostly black with a green skirt and one with a reddish/maroon skirt. For some reason I use to get a lot of hate from my friends for using these flies, I guess they're purists or something(fly anglers) lol. Got into some nice Redear sunfish and a few Black Calicos that but up some nice fight. Switched to a JSR-4 perch color and right away got snagged onto some brush on the bottom, which ultimately got lost.
Moved down a little to the next pool and threw out an F-7 Firetiger. I never have much luck with the Firetiger color, but I've been reading online about its success the past week so I made the purchase. Got into 2 nice but short LMB both measuring 10", but just real nice color display and eyes. Tied on a Strike King jig, black and blue colors next. I started to notice the clouds breaking and blue dragonflies everywhere.

This was one of the nicer ones, the pliers are 9" sorry no tape, due to the extreme conditions and measures it takes to get to the spot you gotta travel light. Got into a few more smaller ones that kept the action moving, called it a day around 11:00 am. Stony Brook I'm tellin you is like your quintessential small stream you wish you could take with you when you move, when you go on vacation, or need a nice memory to change your mood, it's just beautiful.

Now my Rapala story, I'm actually driving back home (new britian) and I start hitting a few tag sales for suits and giggles. I'm a consumer of the unwanted so to speak lol, but at one stop I swear I hit PAYDIRT. This guy was unloading everything he had that he purchased from a tackle shop that went outta business he told me. Terminal tackle, rods, reels, etc. I literally left the guy my ID as collateral so I could get more cash. I ended up grabbing 2 PENN reels, 2 boxes of suffix 400 yard 8# spools for $90 and 16 assorted Rapala baits for $40!! First day ever that my lunker was caught out of the water lol!
SAP284

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Smallmouth, not a LMB. Great snag on those lures, thats sick!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSR-4 dives too deep to be fishing along the shore in 2 to 3 FOW, esp against the current.

Nice job on the Rapalas!
anointed130

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an insane deal, where was this tag sale?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
chud059

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask what part of stoney brook? by the rt 159 bridge? As a kid I used to ride my bike there...crazy getting down there. Also stoney brook park off of rt 75 ...I've walked under the train tracks and also up the other way by the water fall. Never caught bass in there... trouts and suckers.. oh yea, Suffield street has a bridge, caught mostly suckers there to.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
That's a Smallmouth, not a LMB.

That's what I thought when I saw the photo of the bass, but with the glare on the fish, I wasn't sure. In any case, that's a sweet fish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
SAP284 wrote:
That's a Smallmouth, not a LMB.

That's what I thought when I saw the photo of the bass, but with the glare on the fish, I wasn't sure. In any case, that's a sweet fish.

I used to always get them mixed up couple years back. Now the jaw is the biggest tell for me. If the jaw extends past the eye, it's a LMB...that little trick works for me Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chud059- I was fishin the bend on boston neck road, but that pool next to the huge rock underneath the bridge is pretty sweet. Real deep but fast, we used to swim there back in the Mcalister middle school days..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: