CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Striper Lures... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Striper Lures... Reply with quote

Curious to know what are productive colors and types for stripers. Goal is to hit the river this year for the spawn . I normally wait till its warmer and hit the sound with live or chunk bait,but would like to try ripping some on lures. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know at 15.99,it may be expensive but I just recently purchased a blue back herring lure in the silver and blue from kopper's live Target series. It's 4 1/2 inches long. It is just a beautiful looking lure that just pops in the water I don't know how I can't get something to slam it
clopes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebile magic swimmers (and I'm trying stick shadd this year), 9inch sluggos in white and blue/white are my go to lures. Spooks, poppers, rapals and bucktails are also in the bag. I'll also have some sandworms for tubes when its slow. When the big ones show in mid may I'll always bring some eels as well.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an episode of Hunt for Big Fish with Larry D in which he (i.e., Larry Dahlberg) was fishing for stripers with Patrick Sebile. They were burning the lures with occasional pauses to trigger bites. It looked like a blast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo - Yeah, that was a great episode. Those lures they were using run between $25-40 !!! Imagine loosing one of those! I find it interesting how those fishing shows always use the fanciest and most expensive lures. The lure companies sponsor the shows and give them a huge supply to use.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Sebile IS the lure manufacturer! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know. I got a Sebile top water bait for subscribing to On the Water magazine during the fishing show in Hartford. I cant wait to try it. I would never pay $12 for it Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to fishing... lmfao... wait till you get a blue thats wrecks those 20 dolla + baits.... or someone catches your line while fish-on and snaps your line with a lunker... not only lose the fish bait is gone... Is that guy responsible for payin you back?
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked into a blue last summer that made my 70 dollar reel fall apart trying to bring it in. Needless to say,hand ling is awesome. Thanks for all of the replies. So I'm assuming anything blue and white is a good bet?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfisher wrote:
Welcome to fishing... lmfao... wait till you get a blue thats wrecks those 20 dolla + baits.... or someone catches your line while fish-on and snaps your line with a lunker... not only lose the fish bait is gone... Is that guy responsible for payin you back?
i think it would be a good gesture for him to buy you or give you the exact amount for the lure, no matter how much it cost. I cost my fellow fishing buddy a rapala jointed minnow in the brown trout color {very effective lure by the way} and the next day i went out and bought him the same exact lure i was responsible for him losing
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavyweight80 wrote:
I hooked into a blue last summer that made my 70 dollar reel fall apart trying to bring it in. Needless to say,hand ling is awesome. Thanks for all of the replies. So I'm assuming anything blue and white is a good bet?
i would say its a safe bet, but at the same time research what other bait fish that are in the river and find lures that look like them or are them because if what i heard is right, when the striper run in the river they devour anything in their path. I also always heard that large swimbaits in the blue back herring color are lethal when it comes to striper.Everybody says eels and sandworms work the best
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clopes wrote:
Sebile magic swimmers (and I'm trying stick shadd this year), 9inch sluggos in white and blue/white are my go to lures. Spooks, poppers, rapals and bucktails are also in the bag. I'll also have some sandworms for tubes when its slow. When the big ones show in mid may I'll always bring some eels as well.
I noticed that the magic swimmers come in slow or fast sinking, would the fast sinking work best for the river?
clopes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FS ones as when you twitch and leave they sink head first and have the same action as when your reeling. I'd change the hooks out to VMC's though as the ones they come with aren't very good.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U think the fast sinking one can be best for river striper fishing?
clopes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on where your fishing. At times I'm in skinny water and would probably not use it unless I know I'm not gonna snag or I'd go with the SK slow sinking one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: