CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Stripers on eels?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Stripers on eels? Reply with quote

Just bought a 14ft sylvan with a 20hp engine on the back. I do a lot of striper fishing in Norwich, but i was hoping to try some new areas. Got out last weekend at Bartlette's Reef and this weekend out in front of Harkness Park. Both times slinging eels. But no stripers. Can anyone help me out here? What am i doing wrong?
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the water like there? Deep shallow? You can drift eels on a 3 way with a sinker in deep water or cast them and retrieve them slow w twitches here and there like a sluggo in shallow water or rips.. If there's bass around they should hit them. You can also try tying a teaser 2' up from the eel which will double your chances of catching something.
Good luck and don't forget to knock out the eels first or you will end up with knots in your line....
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can testify to the eel knockout thing!! I tried them for the first time the other day and had to cut one off the line as it wrapped itself up so bad I didnt even know where to try to start untangling that mess. The second one I wacked a little but didnt reel it in fast enough and he snuggled up to a rock and I lost that one and my set up! Never used them before and learned a hard lesson, also learned that I needed a towel to hang on to them slippery beasts!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
madkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, the knockout thing works well.
I usually keep eels in a bag on ice, that slows them down considerably
makes it easy to grab em with the rag.
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you fishing at night? Might be the water temps, the tide your fishing, the spots your fishing.. If the fish aren't there you can't really catch them. Try drifting them over structure, deep moving water. Ice your eels, carry a scotchbrite pad or 2 and use those to grab ahold of the eel. Icing your eels slows them down, get that eel in the water asap after hooking it, try placing the point of the hook as deeply into the eel's mouth as possible and bring it out through the bottom of the throat, you might loose a few more eels this way but they will be more lively and your not really casting eels on a boat as you are dropping them...If your gonna try and whack the eel to slow it down (kill it quicker) why not use rigged eels? I never really had a problem with eels balling up on me and I fish them quite often from the surf and from boats.. If I'm slinging eels from shore I'll hook them through in the mouth out an eye socket.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info Ryan, thanks.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fished eels from shore, i know how they can ball up but that never seemed to be too big a problem for me. 2 years ago me actually did better on dead eels than live though. But anyways, the water can vary severely. Depending on where you go, you can fish rock piles, flat beach, theres some deep channels (two tree for instance) a few good reefs (bartletts and hatchetts) You name it, I can find it. I've done enough readin up on slingin eels to have a general idea of what i'm doin just with no such luck. Headed out to old lyme this weekend, gonna do some searchin and some trial end error. thank you everybody for the tips, hopefully i come back with some pictures to post. And good luck this weekend.
icetilt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to to drift the reefs from watch hill to the east end of fishers Island area with eels all the time and did really well at night. I didn't usually use any weight when I was doing as most of the water I was drifting was less than 20 feet. You should be able to get out there with your boat but you'll just have to keep a good eye on the weather and pick your nights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: