CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Stripers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KissMyBass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Stripers Reply with quote

I've only recently begun fishing for striped bass and I can honestly say it's becoming my new favorite fish to target. I was just looking for some insight on the equipment I should be using (Rod type, # test, etc.). I live a stone throw away from the Shelton/Derby dam and always fish from shore or in the summer months from my kayak, not sure if that matters any. Thanks guys!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thee's 2 differen types of setups I use depending on what the primary size of the fish is roaming around.

When you are catching just schoolies then use a 7 foot or 7'6" rod. Lures in the 3 to 5 inch range work best. If you're using braided line, then 10, 15, or 20 pound test would be good. If you're using mono, then 10 or 12.

When you have many keepers lurking the waters then it's time for an 8 or 9 footer. Lures ranging from 4 to 9 inches are what catch you the bigger ones. If you're using braid, 30 pound test is what you should use. If using mono, 17 pound test.

When fishing from a kayak, it's best to use a rod meant for trolling and casting from a vessel, such as something in the 6 foot to 7'6" range.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would go under a 9' rod for any purpose from shore.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
KissMyBass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, any little info really helps. I plan on making a Cabela's run this weekend to buy a new setup. I think I'm going with an 8' rod. I have a few northbars, crystal minnows and poppers but are there any lures you suggest for the housatonic river area?
kjud29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KissMyBass wrote:
Thanks guys, any little info really helps. I plan on making a Cabela's run this weekend to buy a new setup. I think I'm going with an 8' rod. I have a few northbars, crystal minnows and poppers but are there any lures you suggest for the housatonic river area?

[/img]
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as plugs go Diawa Salt Pro but switch out the trebles and split rings. and just remove the front 1 altogether. Right now though jig heads and zooms or equivalent are whats doing the trick. A Yozuri Mag Darter is also a great plug to have. Just out of curiousity, why 8'er?

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fishfinder said, Daiwa Salt Pro SP Minnow is a favorite among many striper anglers.

Lures I use include the Rapala Flat Rap, Rapala X-Rap Walk, Rapala Skitter Pop, and Rapala Max Rap. They come in different sizes so make sure you look at the weight of them on the box and compare it to the rod you're getting. 1 thing about the Flat Rap is even though it's a long casting balsa lure, it's not good against the wind.
KissMyBass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
As far as plugs go Diawa Salt Pro but switch out the trebles and split rings. and just remove the front 1 altogether. Right now though jig heads and zooms or equivalent are whats doing the trick. A Yozuri Mag Darter is also a great plug to have. Just out of curiousity, why 8'er?

I just feel like a 9' rod is a little over the top for an amateur fisherman only fishing the housy. I know big stripers are there but I feel an 8'er will do the trick, although I don't know how much of a difference it actually makes. I recently found a lure with the front treble off, does it make that much of a difference?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Length is what you need to get a good cast to where the fish are! You can easily replace the front trebles. You definitely want the front treble on, some people take the rear 1 off though as when you catch some stripers they almost always get the front trebles in their mouth and the rear 1 typically gets snagged on the gill or side of the fish.

Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using shorter rods and watched the guys next to me with 9' rods catch all the fish. The extra foot makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may go with a 9'er then. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: