CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Stripers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Stripers Reply with quote

Late Saturday morning Jeff and I hit the ice again. Jeff got shiners from TC Marine while I stuck with just jigging.

Jeff put 1 tip up out there on the ice with a medium shiner and also jigged with a glow tiger Rapala Jigging Rap W-3. I was jigging with a pearl Rapala Jigging Shad Rap WSR-3. Jeff also tried jigging with a live shiner on a jighead and a small jighead rigged with a mealie.

As time went by things started to pick up. First 4 fish on the WSR-3 I lost, which were stripers. Jeff wasn't having any luck with perch on the mealies and stripers on the live shiner but was getting a few taps on the W-3 before landing his first striper through the ice. Jeff got a flag on his tip up, which ended up being the perch of the day compared to others I was seeing. His jumbo was 12" weighing close to a pound.

I eventually landed a schoolie around 16", which gave me a good fight on 6 pound test and the 28" Berkley Lightning Ice rod.

As Jeff stayed where we first started, I moved over to where I saw other jiggers having a good time. That's when I started getting more into the stripers. I landed another 4 in the mid and upper teens.

The stripers eventually left which meant yellow perch time, but the yellows were being very finicky. I got 1 on the bottom and Jeff got 2 with the Jigging Rap. I was very surprised to see Jeff and others hardly getting anything on the smaller jigheads and pimples rigged with bait. One other fisherman was landing many perch with the same lure Jeff was using, which meant the perch only wanted something in a bright or perch pattern.

Once clouds rolled in and it got colder out and fishing had really slowed down, we hit the road.

Congrats to Jeff for his first striper through the ice! Leave it to Rapala.
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it was small, it was still fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: