CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Stripers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy H

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Stripers Reply with quote

I'm new to this Ct. Fish Talk. I have been out twice so far for stripers and between my buddy and myself were starting to get them in the boat. The first day out last week we put a 26 inch stiper in the boat. I caught 5 this past Sunday with the largest being 22 inches. You still have to cover a lot of ground to find them but there here. This is from Hartford North to Windsor.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude striper are already running? u ever fish behind barts in windsor?
fishingmaniac12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still pretty early for stripers. Give it a couple weeks and they will be everywhere along with everyones dream 50 incher!
CTPete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time poster here....

Took the (new to me) Starcraft Superfisherman 17' out this past week....put in at Bissell Bridge and went up to mouth of Farmington....slow there....headed up near the mouth of Scantic and got into some fish.....picked up a 26" striper and a 32-34" pike......a beautiful day but really, really windy.....can't wait to get back to that area....and for the hog stripers to start moving in.

Took both fish on a wild-eye shad swim bait......did get several hard strikes (real light tackle and tough hookset) on jerkbaits crawled deep, but might try more stout tackle next time.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Pete,..nice report!! Cool

I agree that it's a little early yet,...I believe most of what's being caught in the river right now,.. has been here all winter! I've been fishing down near the mouth of the river and really haven't seen much of either stripers or baitfish yet! Should be different any day now though!! Very Happy
Berlinbassman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates? I went out for the first time this weekend and only caught two 15" schoolies. This was drifting by the 91 bridge. Can anyone offer some advice on technique. I was using a lead jig head with a zoom fluke just working it like a jerk bait.
Aj1986

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went out this morning with a couple friends to windsor/windsor locks line and fished from 91 bridge down to the island drifting with black/silver jointed when it was dark and when the sun started coming up used some top water poppers. Only got a couple, one 28 incher 9lbs and one a little smaller, probably 23-25 inches. went from 3am to 7am. water temp was right around 50, got both the fish in the shallower water, between 4 and 6 ft. air temp was like 34-35 and windy as hell. hopefully after the warm weather this weekend they'll start biting a little better.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As folks are reporting,..there are fish to be had but you still have to cover some water and work for them. I've been fishing the lower river from Chester down to the mouth and most of what I've seen is still schoolie- sized fish so I think that the main wave is yet to arrive! This recent cold snap has not done us any favors either,..the fishing got noticably tougher the last few trips for me!

And I'm with Aj,...I'm hoping that the fishing is going to heat up right along with the weather this weekend! Cool

BBM: Anything that looks baitfish-ish will catch them. Hard or soft jerkbaits and soft swimbaits are very popular. Once the bigger fish are here in decent numbers, you will find times when bigger baits kil them and you won't get bit at all on smaller stuff...so make sure you have at least a few things that are 8+ inches.
ps: If you only carry one color,...make sure it is white!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: