CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stub Pond 07/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Stub Pond 07/14 Reply with quote

I had some time to kill while my son was at his kempo karate class this evening, so I shore fished Stub Pond for the first time from 6:50 pm to 7:35 pm. It's just a retention pond with a small spillway dam. It was drained dry last year, so I wasn't expecting much. I threw a Zoom Horny Toad on a red Gamakatsu 4/0 Offset Shank Worm EWG hook. The part of the pond that I fished is narrow and long, so I was able to cast all the way across the pond as I walked up the shore. The weeds along the shore were pretty slimy, so I had to bury the tip of the hook in the frog. I got a lot of hits from small largemouth bass and soon learned to pretty much ignore them. However, I also got hits from five keeper largemouth bass and there was no mistaking them. All of them thought that they were smallies. Very Happy I had an absolute blast. I didn't have a tape measure or scale with me, but only the first one was close to not being a keeper. The last of the five was the biggest and probably weighed around three pounds:

I love frogging! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure look like they have been eating well...great job.
chud059

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wouldn't happen to be right on Rt 44 Would it? When I worked in Avon 2 years ago, I pulled over to this pond right on 44 and it had a little spill way damn thingy. Didn't catch anything in it, but it was really shallow. it had a brick utility house and a dirt road and small parking area... a real pain to get back on the road during evening rush hour.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
mep21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving all the frogging going on Phil! Nice fish. I'm dying to get back out and do some of my own!
pondhopper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, nice job PECo! I have always had a special interest in frogn.

Speaking of frogn... I have recently found that when the bite is dead from cold fronts or big storms, you can run a rage tail frog (or most noisy,weedless, top water baits) over and through thick cover like lilly pads, and stir up quite a few hits!
Which is nice when all the usual patterns are not producing.

I fished 2hrs the other day and nothing was hitting at any of my usual hot spots. After trying many different patterns, I started with rage tail and got 8 good strikes in the next 2hrs! And boated 4 of them.

I guess thats where they lay low when they are not active and the ragetail triggers a reaction strike, even though they are not eating. Whatever reason it works, I DO know it works, and its a technique that might save an otherwise slow, frustrating trip to the lake.

Just wanted to share my frogn experience. Good job with your frogn PECo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: