CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stub Pond 07/24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Stub Pond 07/24 Reply with quote

After posting in the thread about hollow body frogs, I just had to try out the watermelon red flake ScumFrog BigFoot Frog that I just picked up. I decided to fish from shore at Stub Pond, which is a small retention pond that's no more than three feet deep:

I arrived at 9:15 am and began by throwing a baby bass Strike King KVD Caffeine Shad. It took only 15 minutes to get a short largemouth bass with it:

I swapped it out for a bullfrog Zoom Horny Toad, which I threw for about 30 minutes. Although I got a few hits on it, I didn't hook into anything, so I swapped it out for a wacky rigged watermelon/red flake five inch Senko. It was about 30 minutes before I landed another short:

I was starting to feel a little bit warm, so I almost left, but I decided to throw the BigFoot Frog for a little bit. On only my second cast with it, I got a hit and set the hook on a 12 inch keeper:

I continued to throw the BigFoot Frog for another 30 minutes. Although I got several good hits on it, I didn't get any bites on which I could set the hook. I left the pond at 11:15 am. I have to say that I like the BigFoot Frog. It's a hollow body frog with a double take style hook and floats better than a Horny Toad, which makes it more weedless. Although it costs a bit more, it holds up pretty well. I'd bet that it'll last at least as long as a package of Horny Toads. It's still tied onto one of my setups and I can't wait to try it out, again.

Last edited by PECo on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!

im goin to get one tonight
BigEd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, did I read this correctly? YOU fished from SHORE? Laughing
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd wrote:
Wait, did I read this correctly? YOU fished from SHORE? Laughing

Yeap. I got scared off by the forecast of 10+ mile per hour winds. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an hour to kill while my kids were at their karate class, so I headed back to Stub Pond and threw the BigFoot Frog around from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm. I landed two short largemouth bass before I left:

Unfortunately, the BigFoot Frog didn't prove to be as durable as I had hoped. The legs went crooked as they began to pull out of the body:

And it began to sink, rather than float, after the two hooks tore into its hollow body:

I still like it, but as it wears it becomes less effective.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, sorry for the frog. I have a live target frog and I tried to throw it today. But I found it is so hard to cast it by 50lb braid, it is so light Embarassed
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 50 pound test braided line with frogs, too. I haven't had any trouble casting them with a spinning reel up to about 100 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'm a fan of that big foot frog too. I noticed the legs do pull out a bit and will go crooked to the point you have to adjust them. I haven't had mine sink yet though.
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is that pond right off of 44 right? I've always wondered about it, never fished it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a quick fix video on the bigfoot frog - common sense that most must already know but i was dazzled so here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qxm7qpQCM
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, that's pretty common sense, but how do you keep the hooks from tearing into the body of the frog while still remaining weedless? I thought about bending the hooks out a bit, but then they'd snag on stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped in at Stub on my way home from work, threw around a Topwater Frog for about a half hour. A few hits on it, and quite fun to fish through all those lilly pads. Some unfortunate fella lost a white chatter bait on that wire that goes overhead. On the way home, so might be a good fix for when I have to make a few casts and still need to be home on time for dinner.

PB : 34" Northen Pike 13# Bantam Lake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: