CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Suggestions for good walk-up spots?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishingeek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Suggestions for good walk-up spots? Reply with quote

Hey folks. As my thread over in the introductions stated, I'm just starting to get back into fishing. I'm originally from Mass, so I spent a lot of time fishing Quabin, 1,000 acre Swamp, several lakes in the area, and 5-mile pond (practically my back yard then).

Basically what I'm getting at is that, at this point, I really don't know any good spots yet. I've fished a little of the inlet at Bluff Point in Groton, and other than that I'm a CT fishing newbie. I've got no boat, so walk-up access is a must. I lean more towards bass, and would like to try to go after some pike sometime. A buddy of mine, who's also interested in starting up, sounds like he may be slightly more interested in Trout.

So: can anyone suggest any good spots, with walk-up access, within 10 or 20 miles of Bristol? I think we may check out Crescent Lake over the weekend (my buddy's from Southington, so access is free at least).
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... i dont make it over that way much... If you are ever up for a nice ride come up to the north west corner of CT and Fish The following...

Largemouth Bass:
Lakeville Lake -(they rent row boats)
Mudge Pond - its some 3 or 4 pull off spots

Smallies & Pike

Housatonic River any wheres from north of the power plant to south of kent and further... There are a ton of pull off spots north and south on Rt 7
and also on some back roads that also run along the river. Personally i have had great luck just north of the power plant and just south of the power plant.

The area that runs from just south of the covered bridge in cornwall (right where Clark Outdoors is on Rt 7) all the way down to the housatonic meadows where the Cornwall bridge is located is dedicated to Fly Fishing only... the rest of the river you can fish with spinning rods...

The bend in the river about 100 yards south of the Covered Bridge in cornwall is a good spot during the week when its not mobbed with fly fisherman... There are good smallies there...

As far as the Pike goes in that River i can tell you that i have found pike in most of the area where the water slows down and swirls a little...
There are a lot of spots like this in Falls Village, Cornwall and Kent...

I hope this helps you even though its a little further then you mentioned!

Good Luck out there... I cant wait to see some photos of the fish you catch! Very Happy

Just one more cast...
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishingeek, I for one know that you will catch your limit of dinks there at Crescent Lake. Although there are some decent ones in there they are far and few as the dinks are at an overpopulation level there. Use a white spinnerbait, also use a tube or grub in either white or watermelon/dark color depending on the day.....sunny or overcast as those have always worked well for me there. If you know how to fish a jig I would try that to try to entice the bigger fish in there. The place has limited shore line access so having a boat/canoe would be ideal. Haven't gone back since they made that place a pay to fish for out of towners and I am not going to pay to fish there as the place is not worth paying for. Good luck.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishingeek,

Batterson Park Pond on the Farmington / New Britain line is good. Mark (Just4Fun) just did a write up on it, yes he was in a boat but friends of mine fish from shore and do just as good.

If your interested in going looking at Mark write up and he has directions to the pond.

Ron
Forum Police

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ponds I walk into don't have names. But there are alot in the plainville Bristol area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: