CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Summer striper fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NC_Striper_Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Summer striper fishing Reply with quote

Hey guys. I will be in New Haven the week of July 4... are there any stripers around? I usually surf cast (90-100 yards, lead spoons and 30-40 yards top-water lures).... this will be my first trip up there.

If not stripers, what could i expect that time of the year? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! grew up fishing stripers down your way in the Chesapeake and the OBX. Stripers will be moving off into deeper water during the day and the blues moving in. Still lots of stripers in the LIS though. Better odds fishing at night/early am or getting out in a boat. We've got some nice jetties, points and boulder fields for surf casters. Same stuff works up here as down there. Start following local reports here in June up to when you head this way, and you'll get a better sense of what's going on. I've also got links to a bunch of different reports at www.redneckangler.com. Click the Fishing Reports link at the top. Got questions just post or feel free to PM me. SEND THOSE STRIPERS THIS WAY!!!!!!!!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
NC_Striper_Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's the kind of information I was looking for. I plan on being at the water before first light and as the light fades in the evening. I love fishing for blues as well. I'm kinda stuck fishing for the land-locked striper right now because I live in Charlotte. What weight braid would you recommend? SuperSpooks, Bombers, etc?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 30 lb braid with 40 or 50 lb leader for most occasions or 50 lb braid if in strong current.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC_Striper_Hunter wrote:
Thanks! That's the kind of information I was looking for. I plan on being at the water before first light and as the light fades in the evening. I love fishing for blues as well. I'm kinda stuck fishing for the land-locked striper right now because I live in Charlotte. What weight braid would you recommend? SuperSpooks, Bombers, etc?

If they're hitting bunker, a couple of bigger plugs (poppers, metal lip, etc.). I fished mostly Gator Spoons, Hopkins and stuff in the OBX, which you don't see as much up here. Bucktails are also a killer, and fish them with a teaser in a current or I'll surf cast them on a casting egg.

Easy to make with wooden eggs from the Michael's craft store, nail and small eyes. Bucktail dances around underneath it in teh surg and stays out of the rocks.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: