CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Swimbait Rod/reel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Swimbait Rod/reel Reply with quote

I'm gonig to be buying a rod/reel soon for swim baits.What does everybody use.I'm planning on running 3"-6" swim baits if that helps any.I was thinking a 7' med-heavy with a high speed bait caster.any suggestion?thanks
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longer is better! I've thrown them with 7',..7'2",..7'6",...and 7'11". The 7'6" is way better than the shorter rods and the 7'11" is slightly better than the 7'6",..but there is a tradeoff with the 7'11" because it is a little clumsy for the times when I just want to make a shorter cast!
(Note: I still prefer the 7'11",..even with the tradeoff though because it is more comfortable to fish with in the long run!) Cool

I am using a 7'11" MH Crucial for the smaller baits (up to 6"/ 2-oz) and a 7'11" H for the larger/heavier baits!

ps: I like the high speed reels for swimbaits,..because if the bait flys out and gets foul-hooked on the line or if it picks up some weeds,...you want to be able to get it back to the boat quickly. And swimbaits are often pretty far out there,..so the high speed retrieve is a definite benefit IMO.

Last edited by Just4fun on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
stumpy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking into one myself, im looking to throw anywhere from 1-5oz baits. im looking at either a Kistler swimbait rod or shimano crucial. either way im looking at 7'11 or 8'.
Justin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't throw swimbaits too much, but enough to get a feel for what works. It is definitely one of those techniques that you need to build confidence with in order to pick it up and throw it instead of other baits.

I have the Daiwa Heartland Big Bait series rod (7'9") and it's not bad for the price, but when I get a new one, I plan on going with the Crucial 7'11".

I would stay away from the Kistler rods as they are very inconsistent when manufactured. For the price/action/quality, you can't beat the Crucial series rods. I'm not saying all the Kistler rods are bad, I own two of them (dropshot and crankbait) and have not had any issues except for guides coming out for no reason at all (easy fix).

For the reel, high speed is great, but you also need something with a large line capacity for those long casts.

Nickp seems to throw swimbaits a lot and has pretty good results with them, so I would take his advice as well.[/i]
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys.that helps Cool
Nickp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it doesnt matter much when you get into the bigger stuff. The smaller stuff (3-6in) is much better suited to throw on a heavy crucial that you may use for jig/pig. The mattlures are probably the best swimbait for sale that is under 7inches and less then 2ounces. Your better off with a 7 6 heavy crucial from there main series. Dont go with the 7 11 crucial swimbait rod until your ready to toss the bigger 7-10in baits that way 3-8oz.

Keep in mind, toss me or mark a PM (Most likely the two guys with the most expierence in CT tossing big baits) and you have wealths of info. Swimbaiting is not just tossing a big lure out there- in order to succeed you have to have some insight, patience, and a lot of understanding.
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet thanks again guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: