CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Thames RIver - Norwich 01/09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Thames RIver - Norwich 01/09 Reply with quote

Neither NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) nor I has ever fished the Thames River, so we decided to check it out from Norwich. We knew that the air temperature wouldn't quite make it to above freezing, so we brought along our Mohegan Sun Player's Club cards as a back-up plan. Cool We planned to launch my boat, The Other Woman, Too, from the ramp at Brown Memorial Park, but when we arrived at 9:20 am, we found an iceberg on the ramp:

In addition, what little open water we saw was there only because a guy in a work boat was motoring around to break up the ice around the marina. Needless to say, we decided to not try and launch the boat. However, it was still so early that we also decided to change our back-up plan.

I hadn't serviced my Yamaha F60TLR outboard since I got it in October 2012, so I've been looking for a shop that could change the oil, oil filter, fuel filters, fuel/water separator and lower unit oil while I wait. We stopped at Thayer's Marine in Norwich, but they wouldn't have been able to get to it until the beginning of next week. We headed up to Cabela's in East Hartford to kill some time before stopping somewhere to grab lunch. While we were wandering around the fishing department at Cabela's, I glanced over at the boat showroom area and spotted a sign that said "Service". We were told that Cabela's has a boat service shop only a couple of miles away from the store. I called the guy who runs the shop, Paul, and he said that he'd be able to squeeze me in for the service. While Bob and I grabbed lunch at Mickey's Oceanic Grill, one of Paul's guys got it done in less than an hour. Whoo Hoo! Very Happy Now Bob and I just have to decide where we'll try to fish tomorrow; Norwich or Shelton. I'm thinking Shelton. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I dont think your going to be able to get your boat in anywhere for at least a few days. This weekend should thaw out some spots finally. Another good rain would help get rid of all this ice too! Sorry Ice guys but you can take the ice and shove it where the sun doesnt shine! LOL

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ice is your friend Wade, you can walk out to the edge of it and reach the deep water. Neutral
Just bring a paddle in case you are set adrift.

...and maybe a sandwich...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil! The Housy has some big chunks of ice under Rte 8. I worked a double tonight so I didn't see it in light but this morning looked like tip ups would be preferential.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Phil! The Housy has some big chunks of ice under Rte 8. I worked a double tonight so I didn't see it in light but this morning looked like tip ups would be preferential.

Thanks, Carl. We got screwed by the weather. From where did this snow come? I won't tow my boat all the way down to Shelton on these sloppy roads.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snow this morning was predicted, maybe not this much though.

PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
The snow this morning was predicted, maybe not this much though.

There was no mention of snow today when I checked the weather forecast a couple of days ago! One of the reasons Bob and I went to Norwich yesterday is that I figured we'd go to Shelton today, since it looked better in the forecast than yesterday. Have I mentioned that I really, really don't like meteorologidiots? Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bring my boat to the Cabelas service dept. They seem to do a pretty good job and don't mess around.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NWS was predicting a light dusting of snow overnight Thursday into early Friday morning
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about boating anywhere near Shelton! Locked up pretty darn good! Crying or Very sad

chud059

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fishing from the area there in Norwich. A few years ago they cleaned up that area...old folks plying chess, and fishing from the docks...of course ending the day at Mohegan Sun makes it even better!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with the rain were getting now and the much warmer temps it may be good tomorrow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: