CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: the one that got away
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricky912

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: the one that got away Reply with quote

Everyone has a least one of these stories. Here's the 1st one that I've had in a while. I've been hitting Gulf Beach over the past week or so on my lunch break from work. Mainly just fooling around with snappers since my time is limited. I've had luck with a white/silver 1/8 oz rooster tail. Been fishing my 5.5 ft ML setup with 6 lb mono. I usually catch a few and hit the road.

Today I skipped out a little later. I arrived at the beach around 3:30. Low tide was scheduled for 5:43. No action on the surface. One cormorant was working, but i didn't see it come up with anything. There was one other guy, live lining a decent sized snapper on a diamond jig Shocked

I was about to call it quits after about 15 mins and no action. I gave a few more casts into a different direction and changed to a slightly faster retrieve. I got hung up on a rock. Then the rock moved started pulling drag, and was no longer where it originally was. I felt quite a few head shakes, and was anticipating a long run, but it never happened. After 5 minutes I really hadn't made much progress. I tightened the drag, but still couldn't do much but inch the fish closer momentarily, only to loose the ground that i gained. After another 5 mins, i realized that the 7lb max drag on the reel wasn't going to cut it. I didn't want to be gone from work for too long, so i decided to push the envelope. As I applied additional pressure with my hand, i felt the fish start to come up. Did i stop there??? Of course not! What happened next was inevitable. Line went slack, i shouted an expletive, and drove my ass back to work.

Really wish I would have gotten to see what was on the other end of my line.
Chunks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky,

Bummer on losing the fish but sure beats the hell out of a skunk. I've caught decent sized schoolies while snapper fishing before but my guess is an albie. They have been around and are keyed in on small baits which sounds like you were "matching the hatch"

Tight lines, best of luck getting that fish on your next trip

BTW - big fan of the mid-day work fishing, had one of my best days ever a several years back on my "lunch break"

C
ripline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: the one that got away Reply with quote

tricky912 wrote:
. I got hung up on a rock. Then the rock moved started pulling drag, and was no longer where it originally was.

I love those kind of hangups! Sorry you never saw the fish but a great read!
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An albie would most definitely not feel like a rock.
Cd662

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you lost the fish! I'm willing to bet it was a schoolie. I use a similat freshwater setup for fishing the Gulf Pond, I pitch out little 1/8 ounce Shad Darts for Hickory Shad around this time of year. I run 6 pound test mono. Every year I manage to catch a few schoolie Stripers, ranging from 12 to 20 inches. A 20 inch fish can really give you a run for your money on a trout rod, I had a few times where I thought I was going to get spooled.

Do you work in town? I think I know who you are.
tricky912

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on the Orange/Milford border. Haven't been out there much in the past week or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: