CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: the river ate my rod today so i need a new one-(suggestions) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesseC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: the river ate my rod today so i need a new one-(suggestions) Reply with quote

the rod i lost was a black Berkley 7' Lightning Rod medium action, with an Okuma Trio 30 spinning reel. since i have to buy a new one now i may as well get something a little bit better and upgrade, any suggestions on rod/reel similar to my setup would be very helpful. was also thinking about taking this oppurtunity to get a baitcasting reel/rod setup intsead of the spinning reel/rod. what are the advantages/disadvanteges of a baitcaster vs spinning? any info helps
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, howd you lose your rod? If youre more of a bass guy and dont like having a long fight i would do a baitcaster just like the pros. But i like spinning, more fun fighting the fish and with the lighter line you give the fish a chance to escape. Plus spinning rods you can cast lighter lures with no backlash issues. If it was my decision id do a spinning rod made by shimano with a okuma/penn reel. With that setup you wouldnt have any issues, really great companies imo.
JesseC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info man, and i lost the rod while trolling up the mattabasset in my jon boat, phone rang and i wasnt paying attention while the rod was resting on the transom, the line was out and got hooked up on something and went flying out of the back of the boat and underwater downriver , maybe a submerged log or something heavy like that, either that or it was a monster pike with a voracious appetite for swimbaits Confused i guess i'll never know unless i find it someday lol

Last edited by JesseC on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to my friend we were kayaking a lake and he was paddling as fast as he could and hit his pole in. Luckily we were in a few feet of water and i pulled it up but later on that month he left his equipment at sleeping giant st park. If i was his id be so mad but he didnt seem to care haha.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats 1 rod fed to the fishing gods this year Laughing

Happened to peco last year at Winchester lake after that the fishing gods where happy he started rocking the bass up there next trip out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest Jesse on all the OTHER fishing websites I belong to, you MUST go with a ST.Crouix $200.00 + rod, matched up with a Van Staal reel which I think start at like $450.00? That's a bunch of BS in my book. The fish don't care what you are using.

I use what I like to use,Penn,Shakespeare,Silstar,Bass Pro"Pro Comp" Mitchell etc... although I have about 20 combos I bought over the years(each has it's purpose) everything from my Silstar "Tiny 20" to my custom built JB Tackle cod pole. So I would just stick with combos from Dick's or Walmart,Bass Pro, Cabela's... why spend big $$ if you don't have to? Also take into consideration what/where are you going to be using them at?

Just some guide lines to go by... good luck & see you on the water.

John.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was shopping tonight. The Skeete Reese rods were still there. I like the spinning one I have. You just have to live with the banana yellow.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Was shopping tonight. The Skeete Reese rods were still there. I like the spinning one I have. You just have to live with the banana yellow.

Ouch! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's idea of a good setup is different. I have some high dollar stuff because i enjoy the equipment and i play by supping up my reels. If you want to try some more expensive gear i would get used stuff. Tackletour, and ebay are great places to pick up some quality stuff on the cheap. To be honest an ugly stick is just as good as any other rod for crank baits. If your a die hard jig fisherman then you may want something a little faster. You will not find a swimbait rod at wally world. In the end get what makes you happy.
JesseC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
Well thats 1 rod fed to the fishing gods this year Laughing

Happened to peco last year at Winchester lake after that the fishing gods where happy he started rocking the bass up there next trip out.

haha maybe the fishing gods will reward me as well soon for my "sacrificial offering" to the river lol Laughing
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that JesseC was looking for suggestions for rod and reel setups, not a debate. Laughing

I tried using a couple of baitcasting setups once, but quickly decided they weren't worth the effort or the expense. If I flipped heavy cover more often, I probably would have tried harder to get used to them. But I use only spinning setups, now.

I tend to be a value shopper and have upgraded my gear over the past few years. Like almost everyone else, some of my first rods were Shakespeare Ugly Stiks, which are still in my garage. Very Happy However, I wanted more sensitive rods. I have a couple of St. Croix Mojo Bass spinning rods, but one had to be repaired and the other replaced. I had several 2500 series Pfleuger President spinning reels, but the spring that flips the bail didn't hold up. I had five Daiwa-manufactured 2500 series Cabela's Prodigy spinning reels, but the same bail arm cracked each of them. Luckily, Cabela's took them all back. Then I tried Shimano and haven't looked back.

If I could have only one setup, I'd take a 7' 2", medium heavy, fast action Shimano Clarus Worm spinning rod (about $90) and a 4000 series Shimano Sahara spinning reel (about $50). It's light enough for largemouth bass, but heavy enough to handle northern pike or striped bass. For dropshotting or crappie fishing, I use a 7' 2", medium light, fast action Shimano Crucial Drop Shot spinning rod and a 2500 series Shimano Stradic spinning reel, which is a lighter, more expensive setup.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and thanks for all the information guys! i will keep that stuff in mind for sure when i go to cabellas tomorrow Very Happy i think i'm leaning towards a baitcasting combo around 7' with medium/ fast action with a because i've never used one before and kinda wanna try something new, and after doing some reading it sounds like it could be a very good tool in my fishing arsenal after mastering the technique of the baitcaster reel. as far as lure weights i usually throw stuff out between 1/4 ounce and 1 ounce. 1 1/2 ounces at the most. i also prefer to use the lightest line i possibly can for the situation, so i'm going to look for something that can hold 10# test mono reasonably well. i want to find something that i can chuck out crank/chatter/spinner baits with, but also have a sensitive enough tip for jigging and such so i can really feel the fish even if they just barely tap the bait, hence why i was thinking about getting a medium action rod similar to my 7' berkley graphite rod so it would be an all around good rod for all the different types and sizes of lures in my tackle box.

ps i already have an ultralight setup that i use for throwing lures/jigs smaller than a 1/4 ounce.

and i honestly dont think i will be throwing anything heavier than an ounce with this new rod ever for most applications, unless i'm surf fishing.. but i'll probly get a seperate heavier setup for that when the time comes Wink

Last edited by JesseC on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
JesseC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PECo"]I think that JesseC was looking for suggestions for rod and reel setups, not a debate. Laughing

thanks alot peco you hit the nail on the head Laughing

also, after reading your post i'm def reconsidering the spin casting setup. we'll see what happens when i get out to cabbellas tomorrow Wink
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I think that JesseC was looking for suggestions for rod and reel setups, not a debate. Laughing

thanks alot peco you hit the nail on the head Laughing

also, after reading your post i'm def reconsidering the spin casting setup. we'll see what happens when i get out to cabbellas tomorrow Wink

Don't confuse spinning with spincasting. Laughing A spincasting reel has a closed face and a button on the back for casting (e.g., Zebco). I haven't used a spincasting setup since my daughter outgrew hers and asked me to buy her a spinning setup, instead. Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
angry john

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the money the Fenwick smallmouth rods are great. There right around a hundred bucks, have great feeling, and are light. I had one that I broke in my yak during a bonehead maneuver. It was a great rod. I don't like split handles so I replaced the rod with a st Croix avid. If your style or hands work well with a split handle I highly recommend them for the price. I still have may spinning rod from that line and will never give that one up. Ebay used avids are around a hundred used and there great rods. The abu veritas are good rods if you like split handles as well. I love full handles so I buy Croix and I plan on getting some of the Dobyns champions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: