CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budward

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: thoughts Reply with quote

Saw a guy on friday with a lmb that was WELL over 6lb. Askedf him what r u gonna do w/ it.----- He says he doesn't eat fish out of this body of water but still has a very lively fish stung thru the gill hanging over the side. I said "no, really what are you going to do, put in in your garden and he says yes, how'd you guess. In my opinion that fish should have gone back.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats just stupid!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Yeah, thats just stupid!

+1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: bucket bandit Reply with quote

I was arguing with a "BUCKET BANDIT" to put back not 1 but 2 LMB that were about 5LBs...explaining contamination, mercury, lead, and GOD knows what else as he dumped them into his bucket and drove off...this is why we usually catch DINKs/stunned bass ....and get probably 1 or 2 decent fish all season... dirtbags like this fish many of the local ponds and they KEEP many good sized fish to feed themselves/friends... Mad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our lives run downstream. People in these examples will make this great sport decline or cease to exist in the future. If everyone followed some simple principles to help our fisheries thrive, our children and grandchildren might have a chance to catch em too and enjoy fishing as we all do.

1. Selective harvesting: the biggest fish goes back, always (unless you only caught one)

2. Only keep what you're going to eat before you go fishing again and only what is legal

3. If you ain't gonna eat it, get it back in the water ASAP.

4. Clean up after yourselves!

5. Report poachers

My 2cents

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi slim,

Very well said Exclamation Thumbs Up

SeaDog1
hila2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah slim good call. That's such a waste of a good breeder, the 1 pound males are the better to keep for food.
steven1smith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of thing happens all the time, and there's no need to get all upset about it. As you all can see there are people who take home lunkers and do whatever with them, but we all have to realize that it's legal. They have the right to harvest a large bass. Obviously if it was illegal, then say something to them, call the DEP, or whatever else, but making a big stink out of it isn't going to change their ways. These huge fish are sometimes the only big fish that these fisherman will ever catch in their lives, and they have the right to do what they want with them. We, obviously, would put them back to grow bigger, but they choose to take them home.

Their act of taking one or two big fish out of a population doesn't always have as big of an effect as most of you think it does. The fact is, these fish start passing on their big fish genes the first time they lay their eggs. A 5-6lb bass will usually be about 11-13 years old, and since they reach 12" in about 3-4 years, they've passed on their genes about 8 to 9 times. If that angler releases the fish, it will probably only spawn 2 to 4 more times, and to me, that isn't a just reason to try to make these people put their fish back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Megaman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: bucket bandit part 2 Reply with quote

steven1smith..why don't you read your OWN quote on your AVATAR carefully...

.how do you know if "Bucket Bandit Bob" takes only 1 or 2 lunker LMB? What if he takes more?? What if he goes to 1860 reservoir on Tuesday, keeps 3 Lunkers, then goes to Mill Pond and takes 2 more Lunkers home to fry...then goes to North Farms and keeps 4 to make "fish patties" when he can buy them at Shop Rite frozen for $6.99...What if you go to a fishing derby for your kids and you catch nothing??

What If I choose to go deer hunting one day and took as many does and bucks me and my model 30 Winchester can take am I not destroying the population as well as screwing it up for others? We are all sportsmen/women we should respect the sport and remember --> Conservation and Preservation....If he wants to eat fish he can go to the fish market and buy them...but dont screw it up for others who want to enjoy the sport...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have a license and follow the limits posted in the angler's guide then it is leagal.

However, it is illegal in CT to harass sportsmen for taking animals while hunting or fishing.

I practice catch & release but that is not a requirement of the law.

Throwing a fish in your garden is STUPID but not illegal.
steven1smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: bucket bandit part 2 Reply with quote

Megaman wrote:
steven1smith..why don't you read your OWN quote on your AVATAR carefully...

.how do you know if "Bucket Bandit Bob" takes only 1 or 2 lunker LMB? What if he takes more?? What if he goes to 1860 reservoir on Tuesday, keeps 3 Lunkers, then goes to Mill Pond and takes 2 more Lunkers home to fry...then goes to North Farms and keeps 4 to make "fish patties" when he can buy them at Shop Rite frozen for $6.99...What if you go to a fishing derby for your kids and you catch nothing??

What If I choose to go deer hunting one day and took as many does and bucks me and my model 30 Winchester can take am I not destroying the population as well as screwing it up for others? We are all sportsmen/women we should respect the sport and remember --> Conservation and Preservation....If he wants to eat fish he can go to the fish market and buy them...but dont screw it up for others who want to enjoy the sport...

First of all, the quote in my signature is what MY chioce is. I CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY. I'm not saying that's how EVERYONE should do it. I think YOU need to reread what I wrote there.

Second, what the hell's the chance that a bucket bandit is going to catch NINE lunker bass? Most of us dont catch half that many in a season. Why would they?

Also, if these guys were actually having a large effect on bass populations in EVERY lake, then the DEP would obviously put in a regulation to stop them from taking so many. But the fact is, they aren't having this effect on all of our lakes. I do agree that a few lakes have been affected by this, but most of the lakes in our state are doing just fine. Bucket Bandits arent the reason why you're only catching 1 or 2 decent fish all season. I know of PLENTY of guys who catch big fish consistently on some of our state's most pressured lakes. If you truly believe that bucket bandits are the reason why your catch rate is what it is, I'd reccomend that you try some new lakes.

And btw it is possible to catch small fish at fishing derbies too Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD,

I throw fish in the garden!

But only the heads, guts and backbones -> fillets get eaten! Laughing
My tomatoe plants love it ! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi DD,

I throw fish in the garden!

But only the heads, guts and backbones -> fillets get eaten! Laughing
My tomatoe plants love it ! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1

That's fine...I was referring to the story in the original post.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD,

Yeah! I know ! Laughing

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: