CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Tip-up Line
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish On!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Tip-up Line Reply with quote

I recently got some new/used tip-ups and was wondering what people are using for line and their thoughts. I currently have used the black braided celsius and the tan colored vinyl coated line. I haven't been ice fishing long enough to notice which one might be better. I like the tan colored line just for the fact that I can see it in the water and know which direction the fish is running when the flag goes up.
Dave N.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the more visible lines myself. I use 30lb. fly line backing in either hi vis yellow or white. Had some black line on a few tip ups but, like you said, can't see which way the fish was running. No more black line for me.
Fish On!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought about fly line but thats expected considering I don't fly fish. That being said I know know much about that kind of line, does it give you any problems at freezing temperatures?
Dave N.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fish On, nope the backing is no worse than regular tipup line. Actually i probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. Once a fish is landed just wind it up and get that spool back in the water. Wink I just filled six tip ups with a 600yd spool from cabelas .Cost about $30 and put 100' on each one.
Fish On!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info I just might have to go the route
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: