CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: tog fishing around east haven
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miguel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: tog fishing around east haven Reply with quote

Hey ppl I was just wondering where are good spots to catch tautog (blackfish) in ct. Around west haven, east haven new haven area. No I don't want your "secret spots" just want to be pointed in the right direction.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ARE the good spots lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just look for rock piles and you are golden
fishndaze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this advice doesn't answer your question but i hope it benefits you in the future. I'll start off by saying I know although I am young i have alot of experience with fishing all over the east coast and I'll say from that experience I've learned some things that most people kind of ignore. I've fished mostly saltwater and from South carolina all the way up to gloucester MA the species vary but the practices for fishing remains the same. If you want to learn about a specific area or how to catch a specific species the best thing you can do is pick your "local" fishing grounds you will be fishing and stick to it for awhile. Also find a decent bait shop with employees that are friendly and get to know them. Try to visit that bait shop atleast once or twice a week and share your experiences with them and also ask questions. I will say the ratio to information you share with them and information they share with you should be 2:1. You want to tell them more then they tell you and keep an open mind to ANY thing they tell you because sometimes they can make a lightbulb go off in your head. If you have a boat and after you've become regular with them ( be sure to by something everytime you visit ) offer to bring them on your boat. If you shore fish then tell them where you fish and what you catch and offer to bring em' out there to have some fun. If you kayak fish and they become interested or already are interested then offer to bring them out to some spots to fish. Once you do this they will most likely oblige with information they wouldn't normally share. In my opinion and experience once you get pointed in the right direction the most fun part about fishing is finding your own "secret spots" and then bringing friends to these spots to share the fishing wealth. this is the first year i've lived in Connecticut but i will say i had allot of fun in kayaking the long island sound looking at my navionics charts and going to spots that "look" productive and then learning about the fishing in those spots. Some areas are great for high tide and some are great for low tide. Some species are more active during low tide and some are more active during high tide. Then there's the moon phase and wind speed/ direction. All factors you learn over time that allow you to hone your abilities. Fishing is a hobby and just like any hobby the better you get at it the more fun you have. Always except the fact that at the end of the even if you haven't caught a single thing, it was more fun then being at work. I hope this kinda helps you, also what twkayaker said, rock piles are great for tog. Tight Lines and bent poles, have fun !

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"
WILD BILL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read. I'm giving up on Togs this Year. I get too few opertunities to fish and I got skunked at megs point for a second time. Sad

I'm going to try my hand at pike fishing in the CT river on Sunday.

wish me luck.
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's WAY too early to give up on togs. Wait til the water temp drops below 50 before giving up!
WILD BILL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLoutdoors wrote:
It's WAY too early to give up on togs. Wait til the water temp drops below 50 before giving up!

I'm fishing from shore. Maybe Your right I'll just try another spot. I'm going east. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: