CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Tonight menu: Seabass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassarama

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Tonight menu: Seabass Reply with quote

9-5-08

Well guys, I finally did it…

Despite of been 1 ½ hours short of low tide, launching at Lighthouse point was not a problem after all…didn’t even wet the tires on the Tahoe. Took off looking for (new to me) underwater structure in the vicinity of New Haven harbor, underway we marked tons of fish (supposedly bluefish) everywhere we went. Picked a place right outside of the walls and my eldest son was the first landing fish; a huge blue on a porgy rig /squid. Our main focus for the day was bottom dwellers so we focused on the porgies (wife likes to catch'em) and seabass. the porgies were scarce and on the small side, so were the seabass…however, we were in more seabass by a great margin, the problem was they were too short and a few that were close to be legal mark, the wife still managed to smoke us with a couple of nice keeper seabass, one at 17" and another 14".

All in all a great day on the water with my wife and son and perfect boating conditions to contend with.

Thanks Quint and Plop for providing tips

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the seabass.
I have tried but was never able to put keeper seabass in the boat fishing CT waters. We fish the SW corner of Block Island when targeting them, got 30 keepers on the last trip out plus a bi-catch or 16" porgies and two 22" fluke.
Funny to thinmk of fluke of as a bi-catch.
bassarama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff

I haven’t been very lucky with those beauties either, I suppose if one pursues them consistently, the odds will be a bit more favorable for us.
I’d love to hunt those Block Island seabass, it’s just not convenient to me towing to RI for a day trip…especially at $3.70 gl of gas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Np ,

Anything with citris goes great with sea bass.

Easy way

flour fillets-
pan sear
squeeze a orange over the fish while cooking

Make a stir fry veg and serve the fish over the mixed veg

Simple cheap ,easy and Great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: