CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: TOO CRANKBAIT OR NOT TO CRANKBAIT(that is the question)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: TOO CRANKBAIT OR NOT TO CRANKBAIT(that is the question) Reply with quote

I was going through my 3 tackleboxes and realized I have a TON of crankbaits. All the way from baby-l's to extra deep diving ones. One thing that came to me is I can't remember using a deep diver or catching anything on them in alot of years. Does anyone use them anymore and under what conditions? cmorjoe
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets put it this way...... I won more money last year on a deep diving crankbait than anything else. I won the "call in sick" tournament on the river last year on a crankbait that dove 18 feet. We weighed in 6 fish for over 21 pounds and took home a very heafty pay check.

Clean them up, get some #4 Mustad Triple Grip treble hooks to put on them, and get yourself a nice whippy rod to use them on. (7 feet with a nice low speed reel)

I promise you if you throw them where ever you go, you'll catch fish on them. Not too many people use them.

My favorites are:

DT series from Rapala

Norman DD-22's

W.E.C. Zoom crankbaits (The TAPP is my favorite)

And ALL the Lucky Craft deep divers

Use them with confidence. You'll catch fish that nobody touches all year and most of the time they'll be big!

Let me know how you do!

- Tral

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: I'll let you know Reply with quote

I'm going down the river today and I'll try some. I just didn't know anyone used them any more. Seems if you don't use a senko you don't catch anything. Thanks for the comeback I was starting to wonder where everyone went. cmorjoe
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: 3 hours of crankbaiting and....zero Reply with quote

After three hours of throwing a crank bait without one hit made me realize why I stopped using them. All I have to show for it is a very sore shoulder. I don't doubt you have had success with them but as for me ZERO. Oh well maybe the fish just weren't cooperating because of thunder storms EVERY NIGHT. Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. cmorjoe p.s. Maybe I am just a crummy fisherman alot of years of experience doesn't seem to count for much I guess the fish are just too smart now a days!
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dont lose faith in them. Like everything, it takes practice. Go to a lake where you feel comfortable and know that you can catch them. Go to your favorite place and bring nothing but a box of crankbaits.

If you experiment with retrieves, rod angles, line and most important, boat postion, I promise you'll catch them!

Just keep trying and let me know if you have anymore questions!

I live in Glastonbury. Sometime if you'd like to go out and practice, let me know. Id be more than happy to take you out and give you some pointers. BTW, Gardner Lake is my favorite for deep crankin. In the summer, I always catch at least one five pounder on a deep cranbait.

- Tral

CT RIVER
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Did you say a 5lber? Reply with quote

Not saying I am giving up on them. When your on the other side of 60 you start feeling muscles you didn't know you had after an outing like yesterday. Heck the only way I get 5 lbs is with 4 fish. Thanks again for the reply I am starting to wonder where everyone went; doesn't seem like many are around on the site anymore. cmorjoe
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I have a couple that I never use... I caught one fish on a deep diver when it hit the surface on the cast....

Guess I should give them a chance
Old standby push button
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Tralli wrote:
BTW, Gardner Lake is my favorite for deep crankin. In the summer, I always catch at least one five pounder on a deep cranbait.

I dont believe that for a second.....we shocked that lake 13 times last year and never got a fish over 4lbs.

SO that means they arent there!!! Laughing Laughing

That place just SUCKS, period!!!!

messin with ya JT, getting a 5 out of there is a feat that isnt often duplicated by others!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious Dusty?? They didnt shock many up? Im surprised

Every time I go there in the summer, I throw three baits. A 1 oz. jig with double pork trailers, a carolina rigged zoom trick worm and a DD-22 in glitter craw.

I have caught quite a few big fish from that place on the deep stuff it's not funny. I havent caught tons of fish just mostly big ones. I dont fish that place less than 15 feet of water. Most of my big fish have come in water 20 - 35 feet. Big smallies too!

CT RIVER
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin likes it deep......
Love Johnny
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Embarassed Wink only for you johnny we're sick

CT RIVER
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: