CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Topwater smallmouth North of King's Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Topwater smallmouth North of King's Island Reply with quote

Bill and I fished just above King's Island yesterday from 6:00am to 1:30pm and had an absolute blast with a topwater river smallmouth bite. I was working a Sammy 100 and Bill was using a jitterbug and the smallies were all over both lures, in less than 3 feet of water. We also caught on tubes and senkos. I had smallies punching my Sammy 2-3 feet out of the water on missed strikes. Most of the fish were average size with some 3 pounders getting in on the action as well.

I am always amazed at how awesome river smallies are. They hit hard and just don't stop until you get them in the boat. Lots of jumps out of the water trying to head shake the lures loose, some of which were successful, but still crazy fun to see!

I figured we'd catch them on tubes but the topwater action was a real treat.

-Eric
imsafanct

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the only large smallie I managed to boat, having lost two others of similar size. This fish weighed 3 lbs. even on the Boga.

-Eric
WillyB

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Kings Island smallies Reply with quote

Eric
I agree, river smallies are a blast. How do you access the Kings Island area with a boat? It looks like the launch near the island is too shallow for anything with a motor. Is there
Bill
imsafanct

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

The water is REALLY low there right now. We fish a 14' Jon boat with a 6hp gas outboard and electric trolling motor mounted on the stern. We put the engines up as far as they would go and we backed the truck in until the stern of the boat was just starting to float. I then pulled the boat the rest of the way off the trailer with the rope, leaving it sitting in no more than 6" of water. We then walked the boat up the Eastern shore until we could hop in. Once we were on board, I pushed poled us into water deep enough to use the trolling motor, which got us out into water deep enough to use the gas engine. We can go places a lot of larger boats can't with the Jon, and we can even muscle it around if needed.

The Eastern shore is deeper than the Western shore, but I've found the fishing better on the Western, Suffield side. Sunday was pretty easy, as the current wasn't strong. We were actually able to sit stationary in certain spots without dropping the anchor or using any power.

As you launch from the Parson's Landing launch, you want to head North up to the old dam remnants, get to the side you choose and let the current take you back down, fishing as you float. We've not been up past what is left of the dam as it gets really shallow up there. As you get back down to about where the boat launch is, bring in your gear and head back up for another float. I don't recommend floating any further South than the launch as it gets really shallow, especially on the Suffield side of King's Island.

We had a bad experience there last year, losing the prop on the gas engine in faster, higher water, leaving us with only the trolling motor to keep us away from danger, as we floated helplessly all the way down to the Bissell Bridge launch. NOT fun. So my best advice is to stay in between the old Enfield Dam and the Parson's Landing boat launch. There's plenty to catch in that small stretch anyhow.

-Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: