CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Tour de East Haddam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVec80X

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Tour de East Haddam Reply with quote

Spent 8+ hours in the kayak yesterday hitting Upper Moodus, Lower Moodus and Salmon Cove. Threw plastics all day and caught a ton of fish, no LMB over 2.7 lbs though Sad Where are those lunkers hiding?!?

The highlight of the day was seeing a huge bright orange fish swimming with some Carp. Possibly a Koi? I've never seen anything like it before while out fishing, pretty wild!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There always seems to be at least one goldfish swimming with the carp. People with no sense release them everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seeing a lot more either koi or goldfish being released into different lakes and ponds. People are just dumping them into whatever water body is closest to them
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice

What's a good cove for fishing on CT River without much Boat traffic?

I was planning on going mid week ....haven't fished CT river with a Yak yet.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely the wrong person to ask, I avoid the CT River like the plague. I fish out of a 10 foot sit-in yak. If I ever took on a big boat wake I'd sink in a heartbeat Razz

I enjoy launching out of the East Haddam Boat Launch at the confluence of the Salmon River and CT RIver and heading up stream on the Salmon. Solid Bass and Pike fishing, as well as Carp and Cats if that's your thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:

Hamburg Cove is nice. You can park and launch next to the Hamburg Cove Yacht Club at 13 Cove Road in Old Lyme.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
ChaoSki wrote:

Hamburg Cove is nice. You can park and launch next to the Hamburg Cove Yacht Club at 13 Cove Road in Old Lyme.

Sweet, thank you sir
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVec80X wrote:
I'm definitely the wrong person to ask, I avoid the CT River like the plague. I fish out of a 10 foot sit-in yak. If I ever took on a big boat wake I'd sink in a heartbeat Razz

I enjoy launching out of the East Haddam Boat Launch at the confluence of the Salmon River and CT RIver and heading up stream on the Salmon. Solid Bass and Pike fishing, as well as Carp and Cats if that's your thing.

Thanks, I do fish Carp.....but never from a yak.....yet....which will be interesting hehe
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking the family on Sunday. Probably same exact trip as OP.

I'm thinking about starting off early at Salmon Boat Launch, hoping family can do some carp fishing off shore while kids take turns fishing on the yak.

Seems like low tides is about 12pm/lunch so hoping to do 8 to 11 or so around Salmon Cove/CT river.

I'm reading a lot of crazy stuff on tides/rapids.....no clue who to believe hehe, but I'm bringing my anchor!

In the afternoon we will hit up Upper Moodus reservoir, seems like there is some decent fish in there. Any recommended spots to fish/launch from?

Any tips would be great, thanks!
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're launching from East Haddam there are NO rapids, but it is tidal. Depending on the age of your kids, I'd definitely keep a close eye on them if you're just going to stay around the launch area. Lots of boat traffic this time of year...especially on a Holiday weekend! Based on the DEEP site, there are no scheduled Bass Tournaments out of East Haddam Sunday so that will make it a bit less crowded. The weekend is supposed to be windy so that anchor might come in handy. As for fishing spots, anywhere in the lower straight of the Salmon will yield Bass, Pike, Carp, Cats, etc. Hell, my buddy just landed a 28" Striper 0.6 miles up river!

There is only one launch on Upper Moodus and by mid-day the chances of finding a parking spot are slim! I'd recommend parking at the East Haddam (Moodus) Town Beach on Lower Res. It's free, easy to launch from and a great spot for kids. If you fish along the causeway right there you'll definitely land some fish. Also, fish the weeds on the backside of the town beach. My general rule of thumb for Moodus is "more weeds=bigger fish!".

Good luck! Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post/info. Much appreciated!!!

AVec80X wrote:
If you're launching from East Haddam there are NO rapids, but it is tidal. Depending on the age of your kids, I'd definitely keep a close eye on them if you're just going to stay around the launch area. Lots of boat traffic this time of year...especially on a Holiday weekend!

We are planning on getting there early and beat the jam. Kids will take turns on my 2 person yak....so they will be with me.

AVec80X wrote:
Based on the DEEP site, there are no scheduled Bass Tournaments out of East Haddam Sunday so that will make it a bit less crowded. The weekend is supposed to be windy so that anchor might come in handy. As for fishing spots, anywhere in the lower straight of the Salmon will yield Bass, Pike, Carp, Cats, etc. Hell, my buddy just landed a 28" Striper 0.6 miles up river!

I will probably spend most of the time in the cove (not too far up the Salmon river) and maybe little around CT River (if traffic is light).

Are you talking about the straight part of the cove to the west I see on the map?

My goal is to catch a decent Pike, LM and Carp. Striper would be nice too....

AVec80X wrote:
There is only one launch on Upper Moodus and by mid-day the chances of finding a parking spot are slim! I'd recommend parking at the East Haddam (Moodus) Town Beach on Lower Res. It's free, easy to launch from and a great spot for kids. If you fish along the causeway right there you'll definitely land some fish. Also, fish the weeds on the backside of the town beach. My general rule of thumb for Moodus is "more weeds=bigger fish!".

Good luck! Have fun!

Thanks man!

I will get my Texas rigs ready hehe

Would you recommend top water frogs in either spots? I usually just troll it behind the kayak but I might flip it here and there.

Will probably be using Jigs and Jerk Baits
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If you're headed up Salmon from the launch, fish the whole right side all the way up to the cove. Plenty of Pike and Bass in there. Might even try tossing a frog into the grasses.

As for Moodus, any Texas rigged plastic will yield fish. I was chucking a hollowbody frog last weekend, but it was attracting more Pickerel than Bass.

I was supposed to be on the Salmon tomorrow morning, but we bumped it to Sunday now due to tonight's bone chilling temps! Maybe we'll cross paths. I'm in an olive green yak and typically have an obnoxious colored shirt on under my PFD so the boats see me.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVec80X wrote:
Yes. If you're headed up Salmon from the launch, fish the whole right side all the way up to the cove. Plenty of Pike and Bass in there. Might even try tossing a frog into the grasses.

As for Moodus, any Texas rigged plastic will yield fish. I was chucking a hollowbody frog last weekend, but it was attracting more Pickerel than Bass.

I was supposed to be on the Salmon tomorrow morning, but we bumped it to Sunday now due to tonight's bone chilling temps! Maybe we'll cross paths. I'm in an olive green yak and typically have an obnoxious colored shirt on under my PFD so the boats see me.

Cool, I will see you around.

I'll be in one of these.
http://www.ctfishtalk.com/post-your-rigged-up-kayak-t16902.html#.VV9eO0as8xo
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
I'm reading a lot of crazy stuff on tides/rapids.....no clue who to believe hehe, but I'm bringing my anchor!

On Sunday, the outgoing tide will drop the water level in the Connecticut River in Haddam by 2.3 feet over the course of about seven hours from 5:30 am to 12:30 pm. You better wear your whitewater helmets. Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-20mph winds tomorrow Sad

Bringing the yak but I have a feeling I will be limited to putting the corn bait into the deep and getting back to the shore (we will see).

Winds + my kayak = not fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: