CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Towing vehicle rear end maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassarama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Towing vehicle rear end maintenance Reply with quote

This is not a boat repair post but it's related to boats, so here it goes:

Coming back from a fishing trip last Sat. my Dodge pickup truck started making “read end noises” Embarassed Embarassed

No no, not those noises from the rear end you're thinking Very Happy

Well… let me explain, the rear end of my truck has been troublesome for a while now, after a big bill repair it never came back the same, so the mechanic repaired one thing and 700 bucks later I inherited a high pitch noise for free, literally (got my dough back) . For two years now I’ve been dealing with this noise, with the rear end’s life expectancy very low I’ve been maintaining it a bit better changing the oil every 4th motor oil change, +- 15k miles.

So, last Sat. I though I lost the darn thing for good, while pulling the V up the driveway it grinded so bad that I didn’t run it since. I had a couple of days to browse around and actually found a 56k mile used rear end for 850 bucks.

Curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to open her up before picking up the newer axle and to take some graphic mechanical pictures, after all I expected gear pieces all over in the housing.

The good news is this, no additional damage.WTF! Confused Confused

Notice how few particles were on the bottom?

Yeeeehaaaa Surprised I just save 850 bucks minus the oil change and a Sam Addams Light to celebrate! Very Happy Very Happy

A couple of quarts of synthetic 75w-90 and 7 oz of limited slip oil, she’s ready to go again.

I talked to a pro mechanic who happens to be a friend and he advised me to change the rear end oil and additive more often, especially when towing long distances ( like me) whether the axle is noisy or not.

From now on, I’ll do mine every 10k miles, it takes me approx. an hour including a Sam Addams break Wink

To me it's cheap insurance.

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: