CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Trolling Motor Mounting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g_morin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Trolling Motor Mounting Reply with quote

Hello all I have a 14' Meyers Laker aluminum boat and I have a minkota 30 thrust trolling motor I am currently mounting on the hull of the boat right next to the outboard motor... is there a better place I can mount this without getting into custom fabrication?
Glenn
Hummingbird 170 Fish Finder
Cooler

Thats all I need....Bring on the BASS!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transom somewhere would be the best place for it if you mount it off 1 of the sides your boat will tend to crab on ya ....my transoms not flat has a dip in it comeing down form both sides to center where the main gas motor sits I ended up makeing a mount for it 18 in left of center......if you run into issues makeing something drop me a pm ill see if I can help ya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to mount it on the bow, the head can be reversed on minn kota's by just loosening 1 bolt and turning it 180 degrees.

Just depends on how you are going to use the boat.
colburn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripline wrote:
If you want to mount it on the bow, the head can be reversed on minn kota's by just loosening 1 bolt and turning it 180 degrees.

Just depends on how you are going to use the boat.

i was reading reviews on those motors and though it says you can reverse it something happens to it and it will break. i would read up on it before doing that.
g_morin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it came with the boat it doesnt appear to be the sturdiest... like I said I currently have it mounted in the back next to the outboard which is fine I guess...I was just trying to make it a little more functional thats all next to the front seat...
GLenn
Hummingbird 170 Fish Finder
Cooler

Thats all I need....Bring on the BASS!
ripline

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colburn wrote:

i was reading reviews on those motors and though it says you can reverse it something happens to it and it will break. i would read up on it before doing that.

I'm curious as to where you saw that review, never heard of that before. I've reversed 2 smaller ones, 30lb and 40lb without any problems. The 40lb ran for about 8 years on a 14 footer and I sold it running just fine with the boat. I'm just wondering if the more powerful ones have a problem with shaft flex or something along those lines.

Anyway, best of luck with the boat Glenn.
colburn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripline wrote:
colburn wrote:

I'm curious as to where you saw that review, never heard of that before. I've reversed 2 smaller ones, 30lb and 40lb without any problems. The 40lb ran for about 8 years on a 14 footer and I sold it running just fine with the boat. I'm just wondering if the more powerful ones have a problem with shaft flex or something along those lines.

Anyway, best of luck with the boat Glenn.

I think it was on bass pro's review page. not positive though. i do know i read it somewhere. heh
colburn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i just looked for it but can't find it. so idk lol
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fishing buddy of mine has a transom motor on the front of his lil jon boat. We spun the head as mentioned many seasons ago. No issues. I did the same on my little v-hull with a minn kota 30 endura. Only took removing 1 screw. Spinning the head and putting back the screw. Worked like a charm!

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: