CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Trolling motor on an open bow boat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortypowers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Trolling motor on an open bow boat Reply with quote

I have an older fiberglass tri-hull open bow boat that I use for fishing. I'm not in a position to get a boat better suited for fishing.

This boat has bow rails and there is no room on the transom to mount one. Is there any way to mount a trolling motor on one of these?
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortypowers, you will have to cut a section of your bow rail to allow for the foot controlled trolling motor to flip up and out of the bow when you want to put it down. Doing this will severely weaken your bow rail. Then comes the problem of securing it to the deck. You will have to make up a custom platform to bolt the trolling motor down to. Have fun with this winter project!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you just want a trollimg motor and dont need a foot control you could make a bracket to mount a transom mount to your boat. i had a Transom mount TM on the bow of an old Aluminium boat, i used some long bolts and big fender washers to bolt a 2x6 to the bow and then had another piece of 2x2 bolted and glued to it. i never had an issue with it and it worked great. you should be able to get a 2x6 or a strong piece of plywood under your rails and make it work, alot easier then cutting or removing the rails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: