CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Trout fishing tomorrow, help Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Trout fishing tomorrow, help Reply with quote

I'm not a huge trout fisherman. @ least not since 20yrs ago. I am going to try tomorrow @ mill river and or the norwalk river. I have an ultralight spinning rod w 4lb test and a handful of different rooster tails that i'm going to try from advice from a local bait shop. I was also told to try small rapalas. wondering if there are any other lures i could or should pick up to throw. Targeting whatever type of trout that bite this time of year. These are relatively small streams i will be fishing. If you guys think bait may be the better choice lemme know what kind. I remember using mealworms 1 spring and doing well in these streams. Any and all thoughts are welcomed & appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Going to look for some hip waders now & will check back later.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, well i went to Dick's and got some hip boots for 34.99 & picked up some pin's minnows and some tiny finS fish. Gonna hit the streams tomorrow and will report back what happens. Hopefully there's some fish to catch. Jimmy O gave me some ideas of where to try and hopefully they pan out. Dude said if i work hard I'll find fish. I was catching stripers this past fall when the grumps were complaining there were none to be had but i stuck to it and found them almost every time so we'll see how it goes.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to add that Dick's ice fishing gear is all 25% off if anybody needs anything. Rods, augers, tip ups, etc...
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that mill river the same that flows by sleeping giant in hamden ct?
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnt tell you. I fish it in fairfield. And got skunked today. Went to the spot i wanted to fish today and the hill down to the parking was a 3" sheet of ice. I knew i wouldnt be able to get back up it on the way out so i didnt go there. Went to another spot that you can access near the street but i got no fish there. On my way home i found people icefishing a nearby pond so i stopped by there for a few hrs & got nothing but 2 nibbles. They had no fish either between 4 or 5 jigging poles and a dozen tip ups. Not a good day of fishing but still nice to be outside.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird usually have the best luck in crappy weather... I couldnt get out there today and fish cause had job i needed to tend to electrical stuff in Higganum... Any ways i saw 7 deer walking on ct river in middletown area.. they made it all the way across the whole thing.. Was an amazing sight...
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have been awesome. Completely beats the 2 geese i saw on the ice lol
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude @ the dive shop today told me he saw dudes creepin in the pequonnock in trumbull for the past few mornings with waders.He finally stopped them today and asked what they were catching. TROUT. He blew up their spot so I'm going there tomorrow to give it a shot. Will report with pics hopefully tomorrow.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sounds like a river that flows through southbury.... Loaded with trout... I know few 10' deep pools too....
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never made it. Went local. Caught nothing, but it was a beautiful day. It was so warm i didn't need anything but a sweatshirt. I think I might try trumbull this weekend if the weather is decent.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 3 Rainbows today on pin's minnows ! WOOOOO! they just stocked the local stream! Beautiful fish! Cant wait til opening day.
colburn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
I got 3 Rainbows today on pin's minnows ! WOOOOO! they just stocked the local stream! Beautiful fish! Cant wait til opening day.

thought there is no trout fishing except trophy rivers and lakes
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

? who knows. Were other ppl fishing there as well. Nothing posted to say otherwise. There is a TMA north of there that has signs posted catch and release only. Whatever the rules are @ this place I'm not sure but not really worried about it. The fish went back in the water.
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't say YEAR AROUND in the GUIDE, then you cannot fish there so i would kind of worry about it. Not to sound rude but there are ENCON police on this website as well as my other website reading posts. just be careful. If it doesn't say open year around in the guide then you cannot fish it til april 16th. I've caughten over 100 trout already this month, most of the streams are stocked but many of the big breeders are still at the hatchery, i did see a 27 inch brown caught so far from my buddy but it was released and will be our target fish oepning day Smile

For lures

1) orange and black rooster tail with gold spinner
2) Panther Martin - Rainbow color and tan with spots
3) Silver and Gold Phoebe

you get a couple of each of those and thats all you need
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I went to the tma at mohecan today and caught a few on rooster tails. Only 1 more week to wait. I can do it. I can do it. I'm happy fishing for stripers in the meantime. Thanks for the lure recommendations as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: