CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Trout Parks....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjd241

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Trout Parks.... Reply with quote

What's everybody's opinion on these?... I go to one in Monroe. What a nice facility. Well patrolled for the most part and it seems to hold good numbers of decent fish. Gonna try again today. tjd
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try southbury falls, good rainbows and browns in there
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im my humble opinion.,.. Trout Parks add too much confusion to the mix.

They are TROUT. they are all STOCKED by the DEP. What is my bag limit? Next.
Now that we have the trout parks, there are different bag limits, size limits, bait and hook limits... dang.. can I wear camo waders in one?? or do they need to be plain brown??

I was working with the fly-only places.. and the no-keep sections of rivers, and now this...
the part that gets me... most of these Trout Park areas are not a place the trout would ever take hold and become established... so what's the real point??
tjd241

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: I "think"... Reply with quote

(don't know for sure)... that DEP must do "some" initial assessment when these are first set up. I emphasive "think" they do. I have visited the one near me periodically over the last 3 years. As put and take places go, it does tend to hold fish longer than some of the regular spots. It is fed by a pretty robust stream and there is always talk of a good holdover or two being taken every year. I believe they are trying to provide for catching more trout longer into the season and are less concerned with whether the trout hold over and breed. In other words more fish... bigger window in which to catch them... just another facet of trout fishing and not a replacement for any other. Many of the "normal" places with open 5-fish limits are also stocked and they don't really expect them to develop hold over populations. Some do some don't. As far as how hard it is to catch them... In the one I fish, as you might expect, it's pretty easy early on (like all places)... it does get harder as time goes by though. I was met by "the skunk" at my local Trout Park last Sunday, despite throwing all the stuff I had at them. Embarassed
DV

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visit the trout park near me a few times a year, they can be fun when you want to relax. For the days I just don't wanna trek through forest and poison ivey to find some fish. My only complaint is the type of people these places attract, from young kids screaming & throwing rocks to disrespectful teens making a mess and leaving there trash behind.

All in all they can fun, but live bait is pretty standard there. I have tried powerbait, worms, meallies, spiners etc. Been having the most luck this year on regular night-crawlers and an occasional fish on a 3" senko when I run out of bait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: