CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Trout\Salmon Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Trout\Salmon Tips Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I am going to be fishing for Trout and Salmon this Weekend, most of my aresenal of tackle is soft Plastics, any tips of what kind of bait i should use to catch them this time of year.

Also will be fishing deep water res. on shore.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring trout worms, meal worms or Power baits. Since they are all so cheap I bring them all and let the trout tell me what they want for the day. As for spinners bring silver and gold phoebies, Al's goldfish and Mepps spinners. Got 6 trout within 3 hrs. last Saturday while missing about 12 losing them on the way in. Good day for me! Very Happy

Jim
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went trout fishing at a local pond (stocked). couldn't catch any but i didn't really have the right lures. I threw out a worm on a hook and bobber but the only hook i had was huge and i knew before throwing it out on the water i'd be lucky if any trout hit it (though there are sick carp in there which might have taken it). also threw out some mepps spinners and a silver pheobe.

there were trout killing bugs on the top of the pond, just straight attacking them but none wanted what i was throwing out. only had an hour b4 i had to be out to get my workout on. i'll be going back soon.

any tips gentleman? i'm not much of a trout fisherman but being at this pond and watching fish after beautiful fish jump and swim by will make me one soon. If I go back with any luck i'll give a full report.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer you can't catch trout on lures. Garden worms are the way to go. I usually fish a brook in Durham. Size 4 red hook,2 split shots depending on how fast the water is moving and about 2 dozen garden worms. I seem to go thru them quick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavyweight80 wrote:
I'm a firm believer you can't catch trout on lures. Garden worms are the way to go. I usually fish a brook in Durham. Size 4 red hook,2 split shots depending on how fast the water is moving and about 2 dozen garden worms. I seem to go thru them quick

You know it's funny but I have caught more trout with lures than worms probably because being a bass fisherman I only start fishing live bait as a last resort. But I do bring them just "in case" I can't get them to take my lures. Another thing BassGetHooked, if the trout are surfacing and are having a buffet on the bugs it makes it that much harder for them to take anything else because they are so gorged on the bugs. In most cases in that situation you're better off leaving or getting a flyrod set-up.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never caught much with the bobber. I find the trout like to go for the worm when it is falling to the bottom.
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at the Quinni today in Wallingford nailing them on guess what?? Worms...hehe. Caught some nice brookies and lost an easy 5lb brown. Landed,he started flapping around,broke my line and back into the water he went with me behind him trying to grab him. Good day tho...will be going back

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim thanks for the tip. I was thinking the same thing. They were jumping every 5 mins. Wish I knew how to fly-fish! I have a set up but have never used it. That pond might be the place though.

Next time I hit it up I'll be bringing a smaller hook and a bunch of worms, though being a basser I'll have my lures handy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the lures, much more fun. Always had great luck catching trout with Rainbow Pattern Dressed Panther Martins.

http://www.panthermartin.com/lures/Spinners/TroutSpinners.aspx
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daiwa SC and FC shiners are the best lures out there very hard to find but amazing, I pulled three browns all over 22" and 4lbs. on them this year and am looking forward for it to cool down so i can rip some more big trout lips.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had good luck this year with mepps spinner, little cleo, phoebe, the above mentioned panther martin and of course worms.

got the skunk this morning, but it was a gorgeous day to be out, so i guess that counts for something :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: