CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Trout season approches, what are your favorite tactics? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Trout season approches, what are your favorite tactics? Reply with quote

I've been talking to a lot of friends the past couple weeks and everyone is getting ready and getting their gear out preparing for opening day (a.k.a. the day the circus comes to town). The conversation always turns to past years, where to fish and what methods work best, and is usually followed by obvious exaggerations and numerous fisherman's tales. For me what I use for trout really depends on where you are fishing. I usually don't hit any of the larger bodies of water. I've had good luck with powerbait in the smaller stocked ponds, spinners and worms in the streams have produced, and I've even caught a few trolling with a minnow style bait or a small spoon. Last year I even caught a nice rainbow on a wacky rigged 5" Strike King Ocho worm when I was fishing for bass!
Very Happy So what's your favorite go-to rig for trout?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meal worms or trout magnets never let me down. White Maribou's also work for me.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick to the fly rod mostly for trout fishing when the season rolls around and in full swing.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah! I stick to my fly rod also -> Though stockies will just about hit anything you throw at them till they get educated!

Smallies on a popper on a fly rod are a blast!

SeaDog1
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi,

Yeah! I stick to my fly rod also -> Though stockies will just about hit anything you throw at them till they get educated!

Smallies on a popper on a fly rod are a blast!

SeaDog1

Yeah it is! One time I was chasing big browns at night with mouse imitations and got into a smallie bite, one of the best times with a fly rod ever on my little 3WT!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever it's not too windy out and the rain isn't bad, a buddy and I hit Ball Pond on his canoe. I like trolling with shallow minnow and shad style crankbaits. If the conditions aren't right for taking a canoe out, then we fish the Pootatuck River where I like to throw inline spinners and minnow style crankbaits.

On Opening Day 2010, I caught my current PB 3.8 pound rainbow trout while trolling with a 7cm shad Rapala Shallow Shad Rap. Gave me a good fight and did a show. Found out it was a holdover.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a 3,8lb trout ? Shocked doesn's look it, how did you know it was a holdover?
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I primarily fish with the fly gear flicking fleas but the kids still sometimes use their spinning gear and it's mealworms and trout magnets moving or still water. They plain just flat out catch fish. If someone is in the mood for lures then it is rooster tails (Black & Brown) or some blue fox spinners.

using my fly gear I normally nymph the majority of the time but Ido like to fish me some wooly buggers. Those things flat out catch fish.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
BigEd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any luck with the trout magnets but the stocked pond I fish has a pretty weedy bottom and I was having a hard time keeping it from getting snagged. Faster jigging retrieves didn't seem to produce fish. I tried pink and chartreuse with no luck. Same day I then switched to powerbait and did well. Guess I should try the magnets again.

I did buy some Berkley gulp alive 1" minnows in the emerald shiner color this year just to see how they work. I plan on throwing them in the pond and drifting them in moving water as well. Guess we'll see in a couple of weeks. If nothing else they look like they would be fun when panfishing with the kids.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_BASSman wrote:
Thats a 3,8lb trout ? Shocked doesn's look it, how did you know it was a holdover?

If it was a stocky, then it wouldn't have hit the Shallow Shad Rap and not have been so aggressive.

Young sotckies prefer insects and smaller stuff. As they grow older and get put back in the water, they change from a small, basic diet to a more fishy diet. Browns are more of a fish eater while rainbows prefer mostly insects.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
CT_BASSman wrote:

If it was a stocky, then it wouldn't have hit the Shallow Shad Rap and not have been so aggressive.

Young sotckies prefer insects and smaller stuff. As they grow older and get put back in the water, they change from a small, basic diet to a more fishy diet. Browns are more of a fish eater while rainbows prefer mostly insects.

As a certified fly fishing guide, I would have to disagree. Shocked
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years observing fish patterns I have noted that stocked fish (trout) are actually very agressive and can pretty much be caught on anything that flashes, swims, or twitches. Its the holdovers that become harder to catch as they grow more accustomed to seeing and eating aquatic insects. There's a reason holdovers grow to that size. They're not dumb.

I would also like to add that trout, regardless of species, will go after the larger of available "new" food items and contrary to popular belief "matching the hatch" accounts for more fish not being caught than anything else.

I dont mean to come off as a douche but it's just something I have learned in and out and will defend and argue my statements to the end.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_BASSman wrote:
Over the years observing fish patterns I have noted that stocked fish (trout) are actually very agressive and can pretty much be caught on anything that flashes, swims, or twitches. Its the holdovers that become harder to catch as they grow more accustomed to seeing and eating aquatic insects. There's a reason holdovers grow to that size. They're not dumb.

I would also like to add that trout, regardless of species, will go after the larger of available "new" food items and contrary to popular belief "matching the hatch" accounts for more fish not being caught than anything else.

I dont mean to come off as a douche but it's just something I have learned in and out and will defend and argue my statements to the end.

Then I guess the guys I learned from are the stupid fishermen. Plenty of those from the site I came from.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wouldn't go ahead and call them stupid fishermen, just not educated enough in certain areas. There's things I dont know, for instance salt water fishing knowledge isn't my strong point and there's A LOT I dont know. I am just VERY WELL educated when it comes to trout and bass.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Never to Young or to Old to learn or try something new.

I'm 63 and still learning something new every year!

It's what makes fishing challenging and fun! Very Happy

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: