CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Trying to Find Leak
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Trying to Find Leak Reply with quote

A leak I have in my waders has gotten bigger and can't find the exact location even though I know the area it's coming from.

What I did earlier was filled that leg up with water enough to go past the area of the leak. I also tried trapping water in that area and squeezing it to see if a squirt would come out but couldn't find it.

I have neoprene waders and was wondering if there's any smart ways to easily find a leak.
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn inside out....lay them on a slope and fill with water. The water pressure will stretch the neoprene and simulate the higher pressures when submerged and turning inside out will simulate water entering from the outside...as it does. Neoprene can become threadbare and might only leak when a certain area is stretched as well so filling then and allowing them to bloat will also help reveal the leak. Within a few minutes you should see a dark spot where the water is entering.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd do me a favor SD, make the vocabulary of your reply more basic and easier to understand. Kinda too scientific for me.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two methods (I just cut/pasted from FlyFishingForum):

I put a low pressure air hose (eg blower side of a vacuum cleaner)into the waders and tie it off at the chest opening. Turn on the vacuum and blow up the waders like a ballon. Spray the waders with soapy water and look for bubbles. Anywhere you get bubbles you have a leak. Mark the spots, and fix after drying the waders.

Another option to check for wader leaks is to take them into a darkened closet along with a flashlight and a piece of chalk. Insert the flashlight into the wader leg and run the flashlight back and forth over the boot and leg. If you have a pin hole, the light will seep through and you'll see it immediately. Take the chalk, draw a circle around the hole and then you can immediately patch the leak as you don't have to wait until the water dries before you can patch it.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second option sounds pretty simple. Thanks RNA.
limeymotors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take your Kayak into the water instead of wading. toss the leaking waders in the trash. -Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limeymotors wrote:
take your Kayak into the water instead of wading. toss the leaking waders in the trash. -Duncan

The vehicle and gas would have to be on you sir Laughing
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, sure, I think, maybe, or not.... inside out or right side in, neoprene might only leak when a spot that is worn thin is stretched... like when you are walking or twisting in a certain way. Fill em with water so they swell up like a water balloon makes sure it is stretched out. Make sure the area you think is leaking stays dry when filling so the leak is easier to see as it will be darker in color when the water weeps out. Other than that, all i can suggest is filling them with white paint! That would make the spot noticeable too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Duck wrote:
Ummm, sure, I think, maybe, or not.... inside out or right side in, neoprene might only leak when a spot that is worn thin is stretched... like when you are walking or twisting in a certain way. Fill em with water so they swell up like a water balloon makes sure it is stretched out. Make sure the area you think is leaking stays dry when filling so the leak is easier to see as it will be darker in color when the water weeps out. Other than that, all i can suggest is filling them with white paint! That would make the spot noticeable too!

you will have to buy him the paint.

Better to fill the leg with raw clams and then sniff for the leak from the outside...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
Sea Duck wrote:

you will have to buy him the paint.

Better to fill the leg with raw clams and then sniff for the leak from the outside...

Sniffing the waders with all those raw clams will make me hungry and very desperate for a bucket of steamers!!!!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to sell 8 of your 2' surf rods and buy a decent pair of waders and the correct length surf rod! LOL The only thing I can add is try snd gill them with air and cover a spot at a time with soapy water

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Maybe you need to sell 8 of your 2' surf rods and buy a decent pair of waders and the correct length surf rod! LOL The only thing I can add is try snd gill them with air and cover a spot at a time with soapy water

Hai la matematica sbagliato compagno! Laughing
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
fishfinder wrote:

Hai la matematica sbagliato compagno! Laughing

Metallica Rules!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need your own forum!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: