CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Twin Brooks Loss
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Twin Brooks Loss Reply with quote

Saturday I hit Twin Brooks Park before hitting Short Beach. Arrived at twin brooks around 12:30pm wit the 5'6" setup I usually use.

Couldn't fish the spot that's been getting most of the perch action due to how high the water was and my rubber hip boots having a leak somewhere on the heel or sole.

Hit a number of spots at the main pond and lures I threw included brown trout FLR-6, brook trout FLR-6, bleeding copper flash F-7, chrome FLR-6, brown trout F-7, yellow perch XRP-7, fire shad SW-8, and Heddon Tiny Torpedo.

Bluegills were the only ones paying attention to the FLR-6's as I'd do a slow retrieve or topwater twitching. Never had a pickerel go for any topwaters.

Later I started hitting more of my usual spots at 2 other ponds. Found a bass on a nest and tried throwing a Bass Pro Shops 1/8oz marabou but only had it pick it up twice by the very tail before quickly dropping it.

Before going to the larger pond I hit 2 certain spots with the FLR-6 and played topwater with it. Saw many bluegills with some bigger ones going for it and tapping at it so I decided to rig a 1" soft plastic crayfish weightless with a trout hook and do a slow twitching retrieve just beneath the surface. Landed a 7.5" bluegill and had a number of others going crazy for the soft plastic but not taking the hook.

Worked a number of spots at the larger pond and concentrated on topwater pickerel, topwater crappie, trout, and yellow perch. Threw the F-7 for the trout and perch, FLR-6 for the crappie, and Tiny Torpedo for the pickerel.

Once I got to a certain spot after no action at others, I see a swirl on the surface with the back of a fish slightly sticking out. It looked to me like a nice trout so I threw the brown trout F-7 out there and did a slow retrieve just beneath the surface. I feel a stiff hit and weight and set the hook. I felt lots of weight and pulling but no head shaking and no line being taken out. As I battle the fish it started coming in towards shore so I made sure I reeled in the slack but eventually lost it Crying or Very sad

The fish felt like one of those bigger browns or rainbows the state puts in. But as I said, the fight was basically weight and pull with no head shaking and jumping.

Hit the road around 4:45pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: