CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Upper Housy Falls Village -Skunked 5_20_07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Upper Housy Falls Village -Skunked 5_20_07 Reply with quote

So I went out today for about an hour trying for Pike and Smallies with no luck. I fished a pull off area near the high school where there is a nice bend in the river. It was very sunny and i could see the Pike sitting in shallow water about 2-3 feet deep. There was about 6 of them just sitting there not doing much. So i started out with my favorite, Rapala xrap. They would follow it but not hit it... If i went slow and let it just sit idle, they would stare at it... then swim away... After that, i tried everything i could think of in my arsenal. Rubber lizards, Jigs, crankbaits... nothing... I thought slow moving baits would be better, but i got the same results and the whole time i watched them just chillin there...

So im thinking the water needs to just get a little warmer and i should be ok. You guys agree?

Just one more cast...
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little tip for ya. One word...

Dynamite
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha! its tempting!

Just one more cast...
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tip:

When those stubborn pike follow you in but just don't hit, you can do a couple of things. Reel faster when you see them get behind it. This agitates the fish causing it to strike.
The other sounds kind of stupid but trust me it works. If you see a fish turn away at it, or you suspect one is interested but not biting, do a figure 8 with your rod. Leaver about a foot of line, but the rod tip underwater. Increase your speed smoothly and gradually and don't go in to tight of a pattern, bigger pike won't be able to get to the lure as easy so you might miss a couple.
Esox CT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If pike are interested but inactive, I've heard soft plastic swimbaits are good. If you drop it to the bottom like a worm or jig, then twitch it and let it fall slow, it may trigger a strike. Man! Sightfishing for pike?? That sounds fun even if you aren't catching!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: