CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Upper Housy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Guys1Fish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Upper Housy Reply with quote

Tomorrow a buddy of mine and I are planning to head up near the area of Falls Village and fish the Housy. We plan on making a run down the river all way to back towards New Milford. The goal is to get an early start on pike this season. We will be fishing from shore the whole way. Anyone out there have any Tips/Tricks that might help make us successful in this area of the river. Also any good suggestions for which bait/lures to use. Thanks for your help in advance. Very Happy
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have the best name ever!!!!!! good start.
On twenty-pound test "
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing awesome name Laughing Laughing

Justin
2Guys1Fish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Laughing and while I appreciate the love, any tips on getting into some pike tomorrow will be helpful as well. LOL.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2guys1fish!

My fishing buddy and I were at, above, and below Falls Village yesterday trying for Pike.

Water is pouring heavily over the upper dam, down the sluiceway, and out the power plant outlets. Also the river is high and getting higher, rougher, fast and rolly. (River will get worse!)
Lot of thaw water filling the river!

We tried Float Fishing and Drop Shotting with live golden shiners from shore.
We could not keep either a slow drift or drop shot on the bottom.
Oh! And the river is getting very muddy looking! Couldn't see the goldie more than a foot under the water before it dissapeared.

If your determined to go -> Make sure you have PFD's and SAFETY GEAR with you Exclamation just in case someone falls in.

If you've never fished in River Conditions like this -> I advice you "NOT TO TRY IT Exclamation " (Not good fishing conditions at all Exclamation -> We both lost 2 rigs apiece hanging up on underwater obstructions)

We gave up trying to fish the river after an 1 1/2 hours!

We also watched a number of logs and large tree branches being sweeped down river in the torrent.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Capt. US Merchant Marine
nk1190

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sea dog the river is moving very fast and is very high right now... Last year in late march early april, I was catching a lot of pike fishing the banks of the river using a pink super fluke (Zoom). Good luck, looking forward to hearing how you did, planning on maybe going out on the river this weekend.
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I third Sea Dog's emotions about fast water, and a winter's worth of log debris, which can reek havoc on your motor.

However, if Ya gotta get out there, and I know how ya feel, the bigguns are fixin, or just finishin their spawn.
get your lures as shallow as you can in whatever backwaters you can find.
Id be throwin bright spinner baits, or decent sized soft plastic swim baits.
Beleive it or not... even a heavy trailered bass jig will entice em.

I personally, am gonna hold off til Sunda, hopin the waters subside a wee bit. not to mention the weather forecast is STELLAR for Sunday.
2Guys1Fish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys. And of course with any fishing adventure Safety comes first. If we have luck i will be sure to post pictures attached to this thread. Thanks again, and have fun! Cool
2Guys1Fish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today was a beautiful day, the sun was out most of the day, and it wasn't to cold. As for the fishing, the water was moving to fast, and nothing was biting. It did feel good to get out of the house though. I personally need to learn more about river fishing I suppose. Just have to wait for my favorite lakes and ponds to thaw.... did get some really nice pictures of the dams, and even Kent Falls. so it wasn't a total wash out. Besides, nothing beats a day out on the water with good friends, Right? Thanks for the help guys, and I will be around the forums looking for advice, and giving my two cents.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2 Guys 1 fish!

Yeap! Was a very nice day!
Glad you got out of the house......Know that feeling!
Yeap! Like I said.......River is running too high and heavy to fish right now, and will be for quite a while.

Give it a week, with the up coming warmer temps, and there will be Open water soon.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: