CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Upper Mississippi, MN
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSRiverdog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Upper Mississippi, MN Reply with quote

Been back here at my house for a couple weeks, my Smallie fishing has been slow for the most part, on the plus side the 3 times I've been out each one has rewarded me with an 18 incher. My last shot for a 20 is this Saturday with a club event in a very good stretch of the creek. Out there a week ago and found a heck of a lot of fish, only 6 over 16"s unfortunately. Moving the last of my stuff to CT. next week and hope to get the boat out to at least look around before it gets cold there.
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, Theres nothing wrong with 16" smallies I'll take them all day. plus an 18" incher all 3 times thats good stuff.

Tim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tim. I'll take an 18" smallie any day. I think the largest one I've caught so far this season was in Rainbow Reservoir and it was just under 18". I came close on a few bigger ones in the CT river but didn't end up landing them. DV may be able to put you on to some nice smallies as I know he has caught some good ones this year.
MSRiverdog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saturday report Monticello section, Mississippi River.
Weather incredibly perfect. Very Happy
Water temp's, 60/68, normal 50/55. Shocked
The fishing, big numbers, slowest boat, about 30 fish but they only had 2 under 12"s. Won TIP with a 17+ average for 5 fish, 85.5 inches. Cool
My partner canceled last minute, I had around 40 fish most 10/12, seven over 12 to 15.75. Embarassed came in 4th of 5 boats, by 1/4 of an inch. Confused Confused Expected to have last place.Rolling Eyes
Big fish, 18.125, the only 18 of the day.Rolling Eyes
This is feed bag time and everyone expected that shot at the ring (Big fish pot for the year).
Monti section has a lot of drift boats with fly rod clients from all over the world fishing Smallies, all of us use bait casters and run jets, couple OB jets and a lot of RiverPros. We are CPR cept for Walleye's, they go home to the pan.
Food was really good at the after event gathering. Laughing

Summation of the group,
Normal on this section for an event we can expect at least a 19 and a few 18's, nobody has broken 19 (we require a photo to count) here this year at all, 2008 I had a 20.5 on my last cast, last day. Of the 16 guys in the club only one has hit 20 this year and that was up by Camp Ripley.
Two years ago, June event in this section my small fish was 18 for 5, 20 the big one, 93.25 total. 3 of us broke 90"s that day and a few guys were in the high 80's. Shocked
High water and hot summer may have been the blame but the opinion is that more than any other. A few of us point fingers at the live baiters that don't use circle hooks in the winter when the fish are wintering here and vulnerable, get gut hooked and die. Almost all of the Upper Miss is a slot limit with 3 under 12 and 1 over 20"s, the keeping season ending beginning Sept. I think.
Talk was in 2 years things here should get back to normal as the current 10/14 inch class fish is very high.
The Upper Miss is river Smallie fishing at it's best and it will be back to bigger fish. If you folks ever have a chance to be here I'm sure I can hook you up with a good guide for free and I know a few that will charge good money, they use live bait but are very good.

So much for my report with a little luck I'll get out one more time before Friday when I head back to Southington.

Last edited by MSRiverdog on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: 40 Smallies? Reply with quote

Sounds like a blast. It sounds like the upper Connecticut River in the Spring and early Summer might be to your liking. There are some big smallies up there when the water is flowing.

BTW, I like the way your club runs its tournaments. As I understand it from your post, you do total length on the honor system, except that a photo is needed to verify the lunker. Is that right?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo
I'm looking forward to spring and the Smallies on the Connecticut River and the other fishing here. SH, the DNR guy I refer to is from CT originally and has told me there is good Smallie water here.
We try our best to fish 2 in a boat, one verifying even if they are not in the Total Inch or Big Fish pots. Original rules stated pics of all fish over 18, that fell by the wayside but is required for 19's and up. If alone its a good idea, no room for fudging that way, pic sometimes may not show an 1/8 of an inch cause even on a board they sometimes don't co-operate for the pic, then you take the hit, with a witness you may be able to pull that extra 1/8, the board doesn't lie but Smallies don't always lay still. As it is in the club, and the last one most of us were in, were invite only and we have a pretty good idea of the potential members ability's and honor.
Original club was formed to keep the Upper Miss fishing spots off the forums as the lurkers were showing up in droves without regard for the fishery and this club is of the same mindset. As I said those folks don't get it and without a doubt in my mind are hurting the fishery in the winter time, Monti section is open of ice there because of the discharge from the nuke plant and there are days that have 15/20 folks in waders with minnow buckets hanging on their belts in waist deep water hammering lunkers. This water has been managed to build trophy Smallies and these fish deserve better, they're too old to be gut hooked and it happens a lot more than a lot a folks realize. Sorry for the soap box, here's some smallies.
http://www.riverviewwoodworking.com/page17.html
http://www.riverviewwoodworking.com/page18.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: