CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Upper Moodus - 4/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Upper Moodus - 4/27 Reply with quote

Bill and I took our first trip of the year yesterday, to Upper Moodus. No bass, but lots of aggressive pickerel. The pickerel were a ton of fun to catch as they were full of energy. Bill is officially on my list for 2014, as his first cast of the year caught him a fish, whereas my first cast just got me a huge knot mess on my spinning rod. Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the hydrant.

But in all seriousness, it was a blast to get back out on the boat. All of our equipment worked well. I was able to try a wacky rigged Senko for the first time (thank you Phil!) and I love the way it works. I'm hooked. We caught all our pickerel on jerkbaits; I was using my new Yozuri 3DB jerk and Bill was using some sort of clown Rapala jerk. The Yozuri just moves and looks fantastic in the water.

Weather-wise, it was one of those days where it seemed warmer at 7:00AM than it did when we finished at 11:30AM. It seemed to get cloudier, windier and colder as the morning wore on. Weird. Water temps showed around 52-53 degrees. I was surprised to already see as much weed growth as there was this early in the year, with as long and cold a winter as we had.

And one more thing...Big shout out to the fella who finally got the bait/snack shop open at the Upper Moodus launch. When we finished up, I walked in looking for a coffee to warm up. I walked out with a coffee and two hot dogs that really hit the spot. We chatted briefly about how the town made it a bit of a challenge for him to get the shop up and running, but I can assure you, it's awesome to be able to grab a quick bite and a beverage after a day like yesterday, before we left. Very nice guy too. Two thumbs up!

-Eric
AVec80X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun day on the water! Upper Res. is definitely one of my favorite local spots! How was the wind? It's been brutal up there...as have the pickerel!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind was tough. Bill's boat is only 14' long and we use only a trolling for power. I like to stand up to fish, so in windy conditions in a small boat, I turn into a sail. My being a sail is frustrating for both of us, but that's how I fish. Very enjoyable day finally getting on the water.

I don't consider myself a "bass fisherman", in that I fish for whatever, as opposed to only for largemouth like some folks do. The pickerel were a blast as they had lots of fight and their bite was definitely on.

-Eric
AVec80X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said! I'd rather the 8-10 pickerel I've been pulling in than no bite at all. The Bass were biting last week, but nothing over 1.5 lbs...so very small by most "Bass Fisherman" standards. I'm out there in a kayak so I know all about the sail effect! This week looks the same, 10-12 mph winds most afternoons Sad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a blast with early spring pickerel on jerkbaits and I'm not just a "bass fisherman".

I've seen many fishermen complain about hooking into pickerel while they are trying to catch largemouths only.

Love the way those pickerel fight and how aggressive they are!
lancraftdrums

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Upper Moodus Reply with quote

Eric,
Nice to see the kind words about my son Danny and his Bait Shop on Upper Moodus.
It's been a life long dream of his to own a bait shop, some day a fish camp, and perform as a guide.
He also offers some great food through the course of the summer.
Knows the Moodus Res like the back of his hand and can tell you all the hot spots.
Thanks,
Danny Sr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: