CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: UPPER MOODUS RESERVOIR IS NOW HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you fish and like Upper Moodus Reservoir?
Leave you personal feedback
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Do you think what the state did was stupid?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

gcutler196

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: UPPER MOODUS RESERVOIR IS NOW HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I use to love fishing at Upper Moodus Reservoir and they had to do the dam project and apparently have not finished completely. I went yesterday and I have a fairly basic boat ( Smokercraft Stinger 151 side console aluminum and light weight, 25hp 4 stroke Johnson that is really a Suzuki, and a Minkota trolling motor) I have a very low draw and had a very hard time launching and pulling out. So if you have a bigger boat forget it!
The Bass fishing was always great there and now it has been destroyed! My brother and I only caught a few fish. I caught 2 Pickerel that were around 18" and a small sunfish. My brother caught 2 Bass one really small and one about 16". I always liked the easy launch but am always more concerned about the fishing. someone else left a post showing that the dam was done and that they were catching decent fish. The old lake patterns of fish are entirely different and it was not a deep lake to start with so I WON'T go back for a long time and I don't think the state accomplished anything. Our fishing license money goes into the general fund, they have closed 2 fish hatcheries. Yes we have plenty of other good lakes I just like this one and the convenience. Lower Moodus and Bashan lake are loaded with houses and recreational boaters who have zero consideration for fishermen. I hope it comes back in a few years. so if you are fishing there don't keep any large mouth bass we need breeeders, they probably will never re-stock bass. I had to back in and drag my boat up onto the trailer with the winch. My truck is tall (2005 dodge Ram 2500 SLT quad cab 4x4) I had to be in 4wd and my exhaust pipes were half underwater. I have cat back duals through flowmaster 40's and they come up to just below the bumper, the stock exhaust would have been submerged. For those that don't know if your exhaust gets submerged stay on the gas or the back pressure will suck water right back into your engine, I've had it happen on Quads and dirt bikes.
SO THE REL DEAL IS FORGET UPPER MOODUS AND DON;T WASTE YOUR TIME. Personally I'm sending in a complaint to the state of CT to complete the work, fill the lake and re-stock some bass. I like Crystal Lake but there are only like 7 or 8 spots to park a trailer, they have Trout and Bass if you have never been there. So that's my report on Upper Moodus. Mad Sad
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to have read your post. I figured that upper Moodus would become unnavigable for boats with motors unless they raised the water level. With a mean depth of only four feet right now, the fishing will only get more difficult as the weeds continue to grow in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it was bad fishing but if they didn't repair the dam they were facing a possible blowout, according to an article I read on the project. It seems like there was no other choice. The fishing would have been even worse if they had a blowout of the dam structure. I'm sure that eventually the water level will come up and the fish will come back. Unfortunately it just may take a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: