CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Value Bass Boat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Value Bass Boat Reply with quote

Does anyone have any substantive opinions about the Tracker Pro 16, which is under $10,000 brand-new? Here's a link:

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3242

And by substantive, I mean you have some experience with it or a similar boat. Very Happy

Please keep in mind that I'm a light-duty kind of guy. I would never tear across a lake or up a river at 50 MPH. I just want a stable platform from which to fish largemouth bass and walleye pike. I also wouldn't mind some discussion regarding aluminum versus fiberglass bass boats.

And Kira, if I were to get one, I'd need a licensed operator to pilot it until I could get certified.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great boat. I dont own one yet but will very soon. Looking at the same model. I have fished off of one and its a nice boat. Storage space, fishing room, features. Great starter bass boat for the money.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there enough room for two to cast comfortably, metalfish? It's a pretty short boat. There's a dealer near me in Canton, but I haven't been there to see one, yet. I've just been surfing the web, so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 16'6" glass boat that 2 dudes could fish off with few problems....You did have to be slightly aware of what the other guy was doing though....Can't really comment on the glass vs. aluminium issue...I have only ever owned glass and probably will stay that way....the ride is just too sweet to swap...much heavier to tow though......if you don't have a stout truck, stick to AL....
Phish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Alumacraft CS Classic 165 and loved it. I upgraded to the glass boat only after realizing how much my family enjoyed going out on the water and knowing I wanted a bigger, safer option for the twins (who are now 2). If it was just me, I'm sure I would have stuck with it. It was great. Light, stable, burned very little gas and would do 32MPH with 50HP 4-stroke Yamaha. That boat was around $14K, but that was before the economy issues. Now, since this wasn't a pure bass boat (I wanted the V-hull for the Sound), it wasn't built to have a ton of storage for rods and tackle, so keep that in mind. The longer you go, the better chance you'll have to safely store a 7' + flippin' stick or swimbait rod. I had no issues fishing a couple of tourneys with 2 people on that boat (MarkO was with me at a Bolton tournament and can comment). Of course there is a lot more room on my 18.5' boat, but the Alumacraft was great.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brennan - Good point about the weight of the boat. I will probably have only a light-duty tow vehicle because I don't like trucks. I'm seriously considering getting a minivan as our next car. My son will be 16 on Wednesday, so we'll need a hauler for trips to college soon (hopefully!) and I frequently need to be able to haul six people (e.g., when my in-laws are over or when two of my nephews are here for Camp Uncle Phil every Summer). I'd also want to be able to use the boat in electric motor-only ponds like Batterson.

Phish - It's funny how little guys need when it's just them and how much they need when it's not. In my little kayak, I'm always trying to pare down what I take with me. Yesterday, I knew I wouldn't want to tie on a Rapala in the dark, so I set up two rods and reels, and that's all I took. I'll check out Alumacraft.

I plan to stick with freshwater or, maybe, the Connecticut River. asianfisher and Just4fun have me wanting to try fishing for stripers next year!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an Alumacraft Angler SC that would also be around $10,000 brand-new:

http://alumacraft.com/bass-style-deluxe-modified-v-boats/angler-sc.php

It has a bigger livewell than the Tracker and would have a Minnkota trolling motor, instead MotorGuide.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell Alumacrafts at Cabelas, and I have a 16 foot Alumacraft that I put together myself from just a hull and console. I love mine, it's light, very stable, great on gas, and very towable with a light truck or a mini van. Not a lot of room for 2 anglers, but I have fished many tournaments with it and it does just fine on most small waters like we have in this state. It has an older 40HP Evinrude with a stainless prop, she doesn't break any speed records but with 2 people and gear I have had her trimmed out at 42mph with a tail wind.

If you are not going to purchase a full size pickup or SUV to tow with, you better stay with aluminum. It will be too much for a mini van going to a glass rig.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, slimecoat. I'm sneaking out to New Jersey tomorrow to schlep my mother-in-law over for the week. My son's 16th birthday will be on Tuesday and she wants to surprise him. She likes to shop, so maybe I'll take her over to Cabela's.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, you'll love getting into a boat, which you already know. What you should just keep in mind is that as you get used to being on a boat, the things you can do with your fishing choices increases dramatically...then the need for space becomes an issue. So...choose wisely. I remember what a fun time it was deciding to buy that first boat. I jumped from thinking I was getting a Porta Boat, then Hobie kayak, then a used glass bass boat, then finally settled on a new Alumacraft. It was a fun journey and once I put that boat in the water the first time I was elated.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Value Bass Boat Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Does anyone have any substantive opinions about the Tracker Pro 16, which is under $10,000 brand-new? Here's a link:

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3242

And by substantive, I mean you have some experience with it or a similar boat. Very Happy

Please keep in mind that I'm a light-duty kind of guy. I would never tear across a lake or up a river at 50 MPH. I just want a stable platform from which to fish largemouth bass and walleye pike. I also wouldn't mind some discussion regarding aluminum versus fiberglass bass boats.

And Kira, if I were to get one, I'd need a licensed operator to pilot it until I could get certified.

Thanks.

I like the Angler SC quite a bit, but 5 person capacity??? Is that a typo?
Stop thinking about it - just buy it and register it. I'd be happy to stand on it so you can be legal. Smile

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished out of an aluminum boat for years and caught many nice bass from it with and without other people in the boat! Two people fishing from a 16 foot boat will be fine,...I've actually fished all day (standing up) with a bud in his 10 foot john-boat! 16 feet is obviously not as roomy as something bigger but everthing's a tradeoff. Bottom line is if you have no boat now,..then no matter what you get, you're going to be loving life! Wink
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira - LOL! The specifications page says the capacity is only 3 persons. That sounds more likely to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my wife whether I should get a boat that seats only 3 people. She said, "That would be stupid!" I guess I need to look for a 4 person boat!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, plenty O' room in Jed's 16 footer and neither of us are small guys. I don't own a Tracker but I know a number of guys that do and they all love them. Don't wait for the boat to come to get the license, just go out and get it now so you will be set when your boat arrives. Good luck, you'll love fishing from the front deck while standing up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: