CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Park Pond 08/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Park Pond 08/07 Reply with quote

I didn't have a lot of free time, today, but after seeing the weather forecast of cooler temperatures and light winds, I just had to go fishing. So I called NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and, go figure, he wanted to go fishing, too. Laughing I had never fished Park Pond when it wasn't frozen, so we headed up there. We launched in Bob's boat at the State Boat Launch just before noon:

The air was a lot cooler than it has been recently, and some occasional wispy clouds and a slight north breeze provided some relief from the hot sun. We slowly motored down the length of the pond to the south end of the rip rap dam wall. While Bob took his sweet time tying on a lure, I threw a brand new 9/16 ounce white spinnerbait with double hammered copper willow blades toward the shore. After several casts, I got a hit and saw a decent sized yellow perch follow it all the way to the boat in the slightly murky water. After a few more casts, I noticed a small red plastic tube over the point and barb of the hook on my spinnerbait. Embarassed While I "activated" the spinnerbait, Bob finally finished tying on a Texas rigged five inch Yum Dinger and began casting toward the shore. It wasn't long before he boated the first fish:

Hey, the rock bass are all yours, Bob! Laughing We worked our way along the shore toward the Summer camp on the south end of the pond. Bob continued to throw the Texas Dinger, while I tried to resist the temptation to throw a wacky Senko. I continued to throw the spinnerbait and it paid off with the first largemouth bass:

Yeap, it was a skinny little short, but at least it wasn't a rock bass! Cool It wasn't long before Bob's Texas Dinger was picked up by a couple of short largemouth bass, too:

So I finally caved in and began throwing a wacky rigged light pumpkin five inch Senko. And, yeap, it worked just fine:

Bob continued to get hits on the Texas Dinger, but not the kind we wanted:

As we worked our way past the Summer camp, the breeze began to shift to the west. We had our fill of nibbles and hits from small fish in the shallows, so we motored out to the middle of the pond. Right after we got to deeper water, the wind shifted to the north and began blowing us back down to the Summer camp. So we motored up to where the narrow channel from the boat launch ramp enters the main body of the pond to let the wind blow us all the way down the length of the pond. I got another short largemouth bass with the wacky Senko in some weeds on a shallow hump:

However, I wanted to get a keeper largemouth bass, so I decided to slow roll the spinnerbait over the weeds in the deeper water. Quite frankly, I was a little bit surprised when I began getting hits on it. First, I got another short largemouth bass:

Next, the spinnerbait hooked a rock bass underneath its lower jaw:

A couple of short largemouth bass were able to spit the hook halfway to the boat, but I finally boated a 12 inch keeper:

It was the only keeper we got all day, but it proved that the bigger, ahem, slightly bigger fish were in deeper water and not in the shallows by the shore. Wink Unfortunately, I had to get home, so we headed back to the ramp just after 4:30 pm. Although Bob and I didn't catch anything big, we proved to ourselves that the bigger fish are holding in the deeper, colder water during the day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Saw, by the pics, that you guys where down near the dam.

No Crappies in the 15' depth area suspended ?

Would think you would have gotten into some.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
hila2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice day out guys. Funny, there's no bass holding in deep water at all in Beseck yet. The only ones we're getting are literally in a couple feet of water and I'm talking nice fish to. But our water has very little visibility, so I think that's why they're holding to shore still. Which works well for me, cuz I hate deep water fishing.
JJay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice guys - THAT"S A HOT looking hammered bladed white spinner!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fish thought so also Jjay because they didnt want mine of same color and size even copper blades as well just not hamered...... not a hit Shocked .... for a while at the end he was takeing hits every few minutes.

Still another great day out ..................Thanks for the call Phil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Phil,

Saw, by the pics, that you guys where down near the dam.

No Crappies in the 15' depth area suspended ?

Would think you would have gotten into some.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

No, Stephen, we didn't see any black crappie, but Bob's boat doesn't have a fish finder on it, at least, not yet. Wink We did see someone fishing with a bobber along the northeast shore who we assumed was targeting crappie. We never got close enough to ask how they did. Whoever it was had a nice big wide brimmed hat, though. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil.....i have taken my boat there a few times with the same buddy. Plenty of runts but even we have struggled to put a solid bass in the boat out of that place. We did see a guy catch a 4lber or so once. that is the biggest and only bass near that size ive seen. nice little place but the bass fishing doenst seem to hot for bigger fish. nice day out there though and looks like planty of action was had.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort and great report Phil!
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoppy wrote:
Phil.....i have taken my boat there a few times with the same buddy. Plenty of runts but even we have struggled to put a solid bass in the boat out of that place. We did see a guy catch a 4lber or so once. that is the biggest and only bass near that size ive seen. nice little place but the bass fishing doenst seem to hot for bigger fish. nice day out there though and looks like planty of action was had.

You might have noticed the wire leader on my spinnerbait. I was really hoping to catch a northern pike, although I know that the warm water made it unlikely. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: