CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Ct. River 9/12/12 (Group attack on pike) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Ct. River 9/12/12 (Group attack on pike) Reply with quote

After the great fishing from couple days before and all the reports of other forum member getting pike the disire to return soon was strong , So on short notice the battle plans where made . We left out of Salmon river launch at about 8:30 weather was cool 70 ish light fog lifted from the water wind was 1-2 mph water temp 75 deg . Our group consisted of Peco (Phil) in the other woman Jjay (jason) in his stealth yak and Turtlekiss (Kira) and myself in the way more better. We entered the canal from the old power plant 1/2 way in we met up with DCAJ ( Dave) makeing a solo run of his own, our numbers grew by 1 the attack was on. Allmost makes you feel sorry for the fish Very Happy First fish in our boat Kira .

1 pic is worth 1000 words so lets trim some reading from this report

Kira,s bowfin made a nice capper for the day !
The sun was setting so sadly it was cut off time 6:45 the (Way More Better) and her crew headed for the ramp.
It was Nice to finaly get out with kira there was a bunch of laughs and a lot of fun, we missed a few but caught a bunch shes allways welcome onboard Cool
Im sure other members of our group will be adding reports from there boats as well....The day out ended with our group of battle weary combatants meeting up for dinner and drinks to nurse there pains, the most comon complaint was Bass thumb and boat sore butts Very Happy
Awsome day guys thank you all !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trip, hey Kira is that a fin' ? Nice! I also returned Monday with minimal results (first day of the cold front with bluebird skies made for slow fishing), but i did manage to get a Nice bass a little shy of 3lbs flippin' a 6'' t-rigged dinger in the bream color and a few pound and a halfers, also lost one pike. p.s. Do I smell a CTF river tourny for pike and/or bass in the near future? -Dan Cool
mep21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another great day on the water. Congrats! I'm going to have to get back out again this weekend somewhere because its driving me crazy watching everyone catch fish while I spend my day in a cubicle Mad .What did you catch the bowfin on Kira?
DCAJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great hooking up with everyone. I'm glad I skipped out on work.
Kira, nice bowfin.
JJay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stilllll tired from paddling all day.... But it was great fun nonetheless.

The night before bob and I stopped by our local fishing supply store to replenish our tackle - I was interested in quite a few soft swim baits and left the store with a bag full of goodies to bring on the morning trip.

I wasn’t able to land any pikes this trip but did manage a few LMBs (none were of notable size). I suppose I spent too much time experimenting with all the crap I bought the night before. Out of all the rubber shapes and sizes… the only thing that worked for me, providing a lot of ‘tap-tap’ action, was tan-ish soft creature bait with high action neon green legs. It didn’t land me any big lunkers but it gave me steady action and plenty fun out all day.

It was nice to be out on the water:

It was a pleasure to fish with all of you! Bob, Dave, Kira, & Phil
Thanks Kira for the picture, Bob for the ingeniously transporting my yak, and Phil for the blue coyote!

PS – Phil, I want a rematch race – I think I can win !
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Haven't been there in a couple weeks, probably gonna hit up the river sat and sun. Seems like the cold water is making it better for Pike!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave some pike for when I finish up on in the salt! Hope to catch up with you out there Bob in the not too distant future, as well as meet some of these other folks. Anyone fishing there Sat? I'm still firmly in the undecided category, as the pull of albies and stripers is still strong.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful day to avoid one's obligations...hoodie weather in the a.m. and p.m, finally! The bowfin took (and mangled) a bluegill colored spinnerbait. Had some luck with a perch shad rap and a baby brush hog on a a shaky head. Learned that a steel leader was a requirement pretty quickly, after a 3ft pike chewed through my 20lb fluoro leader. Would have been nice to get it in the boat, but I'll take a bowfin over a pike any time. Love me some bowfin! I also boated a nice 10lb Danforth anchor (they like white spinnerbaits.) If anyone wants it, I'll trade it for pretty much anything.

Look forward to fishing with you all again. Thanks again Bob, Phil & Jason. Nice meeting you as well, Dave. Fall pike party in the canal would be lots of fun, especially if Bob can tow my underpowered vessel there. This CT River thing might have some potential. Smile

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira, maybe everybody should throw in 10$ and the biggest pike wins the pot, or get a nice rod and reel combo for the winner to keep us from having to pull a tourny permit? Just an idea??? Would anybody be interested in a outing like this???? Wink ohh, I do 90% of my fishing in the river, if ones species isnt cooperating its no problem to concentrate efforts elswhere, Largmouths, smallies, pike, crappie, there is def alot of good fishing opportunities on the river! -Dan
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm in. We could all donate a lure (or an anchor) or something to whoever catches the biggest pike. It really is the perfect place for a fun tourney...if everyone is in the canal, there would be no shortage of witnesses and we'd all know the size of the pike needed to take the lead. Plus, those of us in unsafe vessels won't have to worry as much about the current whisking us into the ocean.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't figure out how to delete my double-post, so have this sentence instead.

Last edited by TurtleKiss on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bob, did you boat three northern pike or were those three photos of the same fish? Laughing

SAP284 wrote:
Great job! Haven't been there in a couple weeks, probably gonna hit up the river sat and sun. Seems like the cold water is making it better for Pike!

The pike bite was waaay off from the way it was when Mark and I were there on Sunday. I think the few degrees that the water warmed up, plus the relentless sunshine, conspired against us a bit. Wink It's coming, though. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of everyone donating something to the winner. Kind of a different spin to the whole thing and I'm definitely in on that. I'm contemplating heading back on Saturday. Haven't decided yet...
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report! Great day of fishing!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look that close to the same size? Rolling Eyes
the last 1 is definatly bigger.......pretty sure Kira netted 3 for me not totaly sure 2 anyway lost a bunch at the boat but I was all pike and she was all bass. think it was 2 on the SR-7 pearch and 1 on the banjo . After bigger 1 straighten the hooks on the SR-7 they kept bending out and I lost fish every time I tryed to set the hooks.I got some beefer hooks and rings im adding to my battle worn SR-7 before I head out again.That bowfin trashed a 10$ spinner bait on Kira these fish are ruff on the gear.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: