CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws
Viewing Topic: Kayak with trolling motor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kickedsun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Kayak with trolling motor Reply with quote

Hi guys. I recently added a trolling motor to my kayak. I had no idea you had to register a kayak if it has an electric motor. I was greeted by a DEP officer as I pulled into the state boat launch in Branford. He soon made that point very clear and I left with a fat ticket.
He also informed me I had to take a safety class as well.
I've only gone kayaking and boating out of Greenport NY, where my mom lives and they don't require a class. This summer I decided to bring the kayak back with me to New Haven. My question is, if I register it today, can I fish tonight? I register for a class, but it's not until September. I tried calling the DMV but I was on hold forever. I don't want to go all the way there and wait only to find out I have to wait until September to use the motor. I'd rather just head out with my paddle. The website is unclear. Do I need the class before I register?
Thanks!
Kim[/youtube][/b]
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not without the safty class if you get checked its a pain.....although ive only ever had my personal water cert. checked 1x ... BUT the rule of (Murfys law) you would get the same dep. officer check ya and he would remember you didnt have it couple days earlyer ..........your call on that 1.....me I would rack the motor store batt. grab the paddle till after class the second you reg boat they hit ya for town taxs as well

No you dont need class to register boat only to operate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Great info.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Temporary Safe Boating Certificate that's good for three months from the date that you register your boat:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2686&q=384530&depNav_GID=1620

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes CT sucks you need to register everything with a motor!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering tempting fate with my canoe and my smaller trolling motor on the Sabbath River, as I have yet to register my canoe. Hate the thought of waiting in the DMV, which I have to do since I have no bill of sale and can't register online
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your kayak or canoe has a motor, you have to get the vessel and motor registered. If you're gonna use the motor, you have to take a course at a local college to get a permit in order to use the motor.

I have a kayak that came with a trolling motor but have decided to take the motor off and stick with paddling instead of moving forward with the motor, which means I don't have to take the class and not have to worry about being checked.
x182dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
I was considering tempting fate with my canoe and my smaller trolling motor on the Sabbath River, as I have yet to register my canoe. Hate the thought of waiting in the DMV, which I have to do since I have no bill of sale and can't register online

I hear you. I have done that before on some ponds that i know the dep doesn't go to. Just be careful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: