CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: Plainville, CT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Plainville, CT Reply with quote

New to site. I grew up fishing in Bridgeport, pulling trout out of Beardsley Park and Lake Mohegan. Since I could hold a rod, my fondest memories have been of catching (and eating) Connecticut fish. I remember Herring fishing off of Bond's Dock and digging for clams near Sherwood Island. Lots of Blues and Striper fishing in the Sound. Believe it or not, my mom had a few delicious bluefish recipes, so we always had food on the table. To this day I still love fishing for snapper blues, especially when I break up the time by pulling Blue Crabs out of the CT River on the DEP pier in Old Saybrook with my nieces and nephews.
Looking forward to some ice fishing this winter, hopefully. I picked up some tip-ups this past year, so I just need to find a spot, maybe Black Rock. I'd like to meet a couple buddies to ice fish with, it makes the cold more bearable, plus I don't have an auger Wink
chud059

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the board.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

Speaking of bluefish recipes, I had some smoked bluefish pate at Island Creek Oyster Bar in Boston last week that was a pleasant surprise. It was absolutely delicious, although I still prefer bluefish just scored through the skin, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and just thrown on the grill until it's slightly charred.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice welcome ....

Check out paderewski Park on cook street good local spot for stock trout and some bass , Hamlins near the Hiway is a little scetchy water nevey realy freezes solid and its not to clean to close to the old Marlin rockwell oil pit had lots of issues when it caught fire and it would flooded over in spring PCBs and all. theres Batterson park pond in New Britain but its got a close seasion now with the wallies ....pm me some time we can talk local stuff I use to be from the ville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

What street did you grow up on? I was born and raised in Bridgeport and currently live in the city. Forth generation Bridgeporter on my dad's side.
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Welcome aboard!

What street did you grow up on? I was born and raised in Bridgeport and currently live in the city. Forth generation Bridgeporter on my dad's side.

I grew up on the corner of Ohio Ave. and East Main St. in the East End. One block from Noble Ave. and Beardsley Park. My mother and Father were both born there, my sister owns a house there, so does my aunt. A bit too loud for me, I must be getting old.
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Welcome aboard!

Speaking of bluefish recipes, I had some smoked bluefish pate at Island Creek Oyster Bar in Boston last week that was a pleasant surprise. It was absolutely delicious, although I still prefer bluefish just scored through the skin, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and just thrown on the grill until it's slightly charred.

There's a joke about the best Bluefish recipe that goes something like this...

Season the Bluefish liberally with salt and pepper and place on a cedar plank. Cover the top of the Bluefish with bacon and insert lemon slices into the body cavity. Cook at 350 for 45 minutes or until meat is white and flaky. Throw away the Bluefish and eat the cedar plank.

People think that because it is an oily fish that it's not good to eat. You and i know better, you just have to be a little creative. My mother used to cover the entire fillet in canned tomatoes and bake it like that. When it was done you would have thought it was flounder. I hear that it helps if you butcher it at the dock and remove any red meat from the fillets.
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
Nice welcome ....

Check out paderewski Park on cook street good local spot for stock trout and some bass , Hamlins near the Hiway is a little scetchy water nevey realy freezes solid and its not to clean to close to the old Marlin rockwell oil pit had lots of issues when it caught fire and it would flooded over in spring PCBs and all. theres Batterson park pond in New Britain but its got a close seasion now with the wallies ....pm me some time we can talk local stuff I use to be from the ville

Thanks! I think I'll check out Paerewski this Saturday. I have been fishing the Pequabuck this year and have done quite alright when it's high enough. I might check it out this weekend as well. All of this cool clear weather should help.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather B. Fishin wrote:
Michael wrote:
Welcome aboard!

I grew up on the corner of Ohio Ave. and East Main St. in the East End. One block from Noble Ave. and Beardsley Park. My mother and Father were both born there, my sister owns a house there, so does my aunt. A bit too loud for me, I must be getting old.

Same area my dad's parents grew up and my dad lived in when he was a kid. Years ago some people around that part of East Main could hear the practicing in Remington Woods.

My grandparents were backyard neighbors on Alpine and Hickory. My dad lived on Trojan Dr before moving into Tedesco's old house on Brooklawn as his family got bigger.

I grew up on Capitol between Park and Lincoln Blvd before moving to Monroe with my family and then getting my own place in Bridgeport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: