CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/10 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/10 Reply with quote

After not finding any fish in the Connecticut River on Saturday, mep21 (aka Mark) and I decided to search for some on the lower Housatonic River on Sunday. When we arrived at the Sunnyside Boat Launch Facility in Shelton at 8:00 am, we found that the parking lot was almost completely full. In fact, we had to get in line to launch The Other Woman, Too, although the line formed only after we got behind the other boat. Laughing Low tide was at 6:07 am, high tide at 11:41 am and low tide at 6:32 pm. When we launched, the water level was still fairly low. The ramp at Sunnyside is very shallow, so it's a good idea to put in or put out at least 1-1/2 hours before or after low tide. At low tide, I have to back my Jeep down the ramp until the front wheels are in the water. Shocked We were lucky enough to get the last trailer parking spot:

The weather forecast was for air temperatures rising from 32 to 40 degrees and south-southeast winds rising from four to nine miles per hour throughout the day. We started fishing in the channel between the ramp and Two Mile Island. Although sunrise was at 7:10 am, the hills to the east cast a cold shadow across the river. The chill didn't stop Mark, though. I think he thought we were there to film the second episode of The Fishing With Mark Show. Rolling Eyes I'm going to post the time that I took each photo. 8:17 am and 8:30 am:

I decided to catch some, too, at 8:40 am and 8:50 am:

It was cold enough in the shade that our rod guides iced up. I was fishing with straight fluorocarbon, but Mark was fishing with a fluorocarbon leader on braid, so his was worse. Thankfully, the sun soon rose over the hills:

Ahhhh, that feels good! Very Happy 9:03 am and 9:11 am:

9:18 am and 9:27 am:

10:03 am and 10:13 am:

11:01 am and 11:03 am:

Unfortunately, a schoolie almost swallowed my jig 11:27 am:

As you can tell, the bite was slow but steady throughout the morning. However, when the slack high tide hit, we decided to do some sightseeing and motored into the cove on the downriver side of Two Mile Island. We found just a bit of skim ice in the back of the cove at 11:48 am, but it was completely gone when we came back at 2:43 pm:

We didn't mark many fish in the cove with the finder, so we decided to head downriver. Here's a photo of the fishing fleet looking upriver toward Two Mile Island at 11:52 am:

We didn't mark any fish with the finder around Country Club Island, so we headed for the cove in front of Pine Rock Park. As we approached it, however, we unexpectedly discovered a second fishing fleet at 12:20 pm:

We did a quick circle of the cove, but didn't mark any fish with the finder. So we decided to join up with the fleet. The fish finder showed why they were there; we saw a thick school of fish on the bottom. And we saw a few fishermen pull up stripers that were still schoolies, but larger than the schoolies we saw up by the ramp. I saw a fisherman fighting what was obviously a big fish for a few minutes only to lose it. And a few minutes later, he had another big one on for about 30 seconds before he lost it, too. Yeap, he was a little pissed about that. Wink Mark got into the swing of things, though, at 12:25 pm:

I hooked into a big schoolie that pulled drag for about 30 seconds. Just when I thought I was beginning to pull it to the surface, it spit the hook. Sonofab*!@# Mad I did, however, boat something at 12:45 pm Rolling Eyes :

Mark Googled the writing on the bottle. It was an antique and he actually found one for sale on eBay for $7.99. Laughing Unfortunately, the one that I boated was broken, so I just packed it out with the rest of our trash. The second fishing fleet began to disperse as the school disappeared. Don't ask me; I have no idea where it went. Rolling Eyes I wanted to show Mark the Inland/Marine line, so we headed down to check out the piers of the Igor I. Sikorsky Memorial Bridge. Along the way, we passed Sikorsky Aircraft Headquarters at 1:17 pm:

We didn't mark any fish near the bridge, so we decided to head back up to the fishing fleet near Two Mile Island. It wasn't long before we started catching more schoolies. 1:50 pm and 2:06 pm:

2:22 pm and 2:55 pm:

2:59 pm:

After 3:00 pm, I called "Just One More". Mark quickly got his at 3:11 pm:

I thought that I got mine, too, at 3:16 pm, but quickly realized that I had snagged it Rolling Eyes :

It took a while, but I finally got mine at 3:52 pm:

After waiting a while for another boat to put out, we got off of the water at 4:00 pm. I had been wondering why the boat ahead of us was waiting by the ramp for so long, when I saw a truck and trailer coming down the road that leads to the parking lot. I figured that the boat might have launched at Derby and been unable to put out there, but when I asked, the boater told me the lot was so full that they had to park up the road by the park at the top of the hill. Oh, well, I guess I couldn't have Sunnyside to myself for the whole year. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bleeder would have been dinner if it happened to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun day of CATCHING fish.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant believe you guys arent getting any keepers at all! Glad to see you catching fish though.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Cant believe you guys arent getting any keepers at all! Glad to see you catching fish though.

I told you why. It's because phil doesnt soak his plastics in tartar sauce...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil and Mark
mep21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I didn't see anyone catch anything that looked close to a keeper all day long, but it was still nice catching anything. I did see one fisherman lose his balance though and fall in off the side of his boat Shocked I think I was more surprised they didn't call it a day there. Couldn't have been too comfortable.....
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mep21 wrote:
Thanks guys. I didn't see anyone catch anything that looked close to a keeper all day long, but it was still nice catching anything. I did see one fisherman lose his balance though and fall in off the side of his boat Shocked I think I was more surprised they didn't call it a day there. Couldn't have been too comfortable.....

Well, now that YOU mentioned it, I think the guy who fell was the one I saw lose the two big fish down by Sikorsky. It looked like he was having a cigarette while he kicked himself in the a$$ and right off of the bass boat. Laughing Luckily, he turned as he was falling and caught himself on the gunwale, but he was in the water up to his chest. After he pulled himself back aboard, he just took off his coat and resumed fishing. I figured that he MUST have been wearing waders as bibs. It was still cold and the wind was blowing much harder down by Pine Rock Park, it was definitely moving at 10+ miles per hour.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was a little boozed up Phil lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/10 Reply with quote

Awesome detailed report great pics !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was jumping in after the keeper that got away? LOL

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Adimauro1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never fished the housitonic before, is that section pretty easily navigated? I got the GPS and all that stuff, I'd like to get out there and give it a shot
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adimauro1988 wrote:
I've never fished the housitonic before, is that section pretty easily navigated? I got the GPS and all that stuff, I'd like to get out there and give it a shot

Yes, the lower Housy is pretty easily navigated. There are channel markers in a few spots, but not many. At high tide, there's not much danger of running aground anywhere. That said, you should keep aware of the tides. Here's my favorite website on which to check them:

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.shtml?gid=57

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
That bleeder would have been dinner if it happened to me.

You got me thinking, Crest Daddy, so I sent an email to Bill Foreman at the DEEP:
Quote:
While fishing for striped bass on the lower Housy a couple of days ago, a small schoolie swallowed my jig. After I removed the jig, the schoolie was bleeding fairly profusely from its gills. Luckily, it appeared to have been only slightly damaged and swam off pretty strongly after I released it. However, now I'm wondering, what should a fisherman do when faced with a choice between wasting a damaged undersized fish and keeping it? Would a Conservation Officer understand that I kept an undersized fish only because it was too damaged to survive if I had released it?

Here's his answer:
Quote:
You would need to return the fish, anything else would greatly complicate enforcement and provide a convenient excuse for those intentionally keeping short fish (just damage them further and you’re good to go…). You can also think about it as costs (a few fish get recycled by nature instead of on your table) versus compromised enforcement (leading to more than a few fish being taken out of the system early).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fishing from shore on Sunday afternoon using sand worms. Nothing up at O'Sullivan's, so I moved down stream a bit to the Shelton/Stratfor border. Caught my first keeper of the year - just barely at 28.2 inches - and three other schoolies. The keeper damn near pulled me into the river and I got banged up a bit, nothing permanent. Snow boots are pretty damn useless on slippery rocks. Anyway, I was on the river from 3:30 - 6:30 so all in all a pretty good afternoon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: